Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a very unique electrical issue in my 2005 Impala. Recently my headlights stopped coming on when I start the car. They work fine if I turn them on with the switch. I have both dims and brights. At the same time I noticed that my temp gauge was pegged all the way down and the speedometer was 20 mph off. This happened once before and my son suggested disconnecting the battery to reset everything. I disconnected the battery and let it sit overnight. When I reconnected the battery the lights came on when the car started. The temp gauge was still off and the speedometer was working but jumped during deceleration. Are the headlights connected to the gauges somehow? How can I fix this without having to disconnect the battery every time? Thanks for any help you can offer.:dunno:

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
It sounds like you have multiple different things going on here but, could potentially be one thing. The headlight issue sounds like the ambient light sensor is dirty or dead. This senses light and adjust's or turn's on your light accordingly. It is located above the dash near the defrost vents. I would try to clean this sensor first. The speedometer and temp gauge could be multiple things. Are all these problems linked and happen together? If so, I'd be willing to bet it's either the ignition switch or bcm (body control module).

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Hi luvmychevy! I realize you're looking for DIY advice, which we Customer Service representatives aren't able to provide. However, if you decide to involve your dealer at any point, please let us know! I'm available via private message for further assistance.

Best,

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I would also check the body ground that is connected to the negative on the battery. Also sand down the contact point on the body. Clean with battery/corrosion cleaner or replace the terminal. Do the same for the headlight ground located just above the drivers headlight (under the hood). I replaced both of these grounds with "pure copper" after experiencing horrible light dimming due to my audio system and the dimming has almost disappeared.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok this is weird. All of the sudden the lights are working perfectly. I jiggled a couple of wires and everything seems to be fine. Thanks for the help.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ I would still check out the grounds I had mentioned. A failing ground will sometimes get a connection and the lights will work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts