Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an electrical 10 hole (female) connector with leads (acdelco # PT1105) to replace the one on the driver side headlight assembly.

The old connector has two receptors that broke off. Corrosion---you can see green mold with magnifying glass.

Can I just use butt connectors and crimp the connector for each wire from the new connector to the corresponding wires on the harness, or is it better to use a heat gun? I would rather just crimp the connectors, unless not recommended.

Thanks!

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I would recommend using solder and heat shrink tubing to provide a good connection and seal out moisture.

Reactions: RYD SLO

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Soldering and liquid tape FTW!! Apply 3-4 coats of liquid tape to the connections and wait 15-20min between coats. The best moisture barrier you can do for the money.

·
Go Get It
15,083 Posts
I usually solder, then a layer of electrical tape, finished with some heat-shrink tubing.

·
Go Get It
15,083 Posts
I've never tried g25's method though..

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
I've never tried g25's method though..
I have done this works good also add heat shrink over the liquid tape on a friend off road truck for added protection.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Don't forget zip ties, duct tape and bubble gum!

In all seriousness though solder and use liquid tape, heat shrink or both If possible. Electrical tape can be used before applying the heat shrink or liquid tape. You can use butt connectors, but I wouldn't be using the walmart special or any cheap junk like that, I use Lawson products LawsonProducts.com . They have the only electrical supplies I use. Their heat shrink butt connectors are great and provides a good strong bond. If I have time and space to solder, I do. If not I feel 100% safe using these.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I have done this works good also add heat shrink over the liquid tape on a friend off road truck for added protection.
I also do this or some good quality electrical tape just for added protection.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts