Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay.
So I bought a used 2000 impala from a used dealer and got a good deal on it. I bought it in January. I took it to my trusted Ford dealership in my town (I have a Montego as well and I take it there). They ran over it, saw no error codes on their machine. AT THAT TIME, the car was:
- giving me a "check" light - I can't remember which check, other than it was NOT engine. Also, the Traction control would come on and not turn off. I figured it was a wheel barring. They confirmed, and fixed the barring.
- Having "trouble" going up hills. The RPMs would bounce between 1 and 2. I could feel this in the car. ALSO, if you're getting the bounce in the RPMs and you turn on the AC, the check engine light comes on. The accelerator also sticks a bit

Since then, the car developed a steering problem - it makes a horrible whining sound when you try to turn it and the car isn't moving and becomes impossible to turn when the car heats up (and it isn't moving, if the car is moving the steering responds well). I figured it had to do with pressure from the steering pump. I figured eh, not rack and pinion, that rarely goes bad.

So a few days ago, I took it into the Chevy dealer (since..you know...Chevy..) in my town because I could walk home from it. Car was NOT passing echeck. They called me later that day and gave me a HUGE list of error codes the car is running, and told me for the car to pass echeck I would have to give them 850 dollars...I can't remember the list...if anyone needs it I will get it from the Impala when my boyfriend gets home tonight. Then they said the steering pump AND the rack and pinion were bad (pump wasn't admitting enough pressure, and because of that the rack wasn't leaking too much/at all, but as soon as the pump was doing the pressure thing right the rack would start leaking again), which I'm having trouble buying since they put a 2200 price tag on it.

Any ideas? I'm getting a second opinion on Monday but Chevy charged me 100 dollars for quote and diagnosis and I can't afford to keep getting opinions for that much. I figured ya'll would have some good experience so....here I am!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, I dug up the list that the dealer gave me (some of the prices on these parts are freekin' ridiculous!!)

Item - then parts cost - then labor cost
EGR Valve (position problem) - 305 - 81
Throttle body to plenum gasket (leaking) - 24 - 118
evap vent valve stuck open - 28 - 65
fuel filler neck (gas tank emissions leak) - 126 - 127
power steering rack and pinion leaking (and pump) - 1035 - 417
throttle body service - 15 - 54

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I would recommend taking the car to an independent mechanic and see what he says. I doubt that car needs every thing on the list. To me it sounds like a catch all 22 that covers all of the issues that are listed for what ever the true code is.

Also how do they know that after puting in a new PS pump that the Rack will start leaking?

I think the dealer whom you took the car to is trying to get a bunch of money from you.

My .02's.

·
Registered
557 Posts
yeah, that's just a huge shot gun. I can buy the story about the rack and pump though. If the rack was leaking enough, and emptied out the pump, it probably wore it out. I wish I could see the codes. What engine does it have? 3.8 or 3.4?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Interested in the Traction Control part of this...

Mine does't turn off, either. 2000 Imp, 3.8 L engine. No chime, no message when pushing the "trac off" button.

CAS

·
Registered
12 Posts
headdesk

i found my rack and pinion online for 90 bucks and i own a 2000 Chevy Impala ls. i got a friend of mine to put it on for 100 bucks because of where it is on the car. i think the website is called rackandpinionwhse.com....i hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
How many miles on this thing? I would take it back where you bought it. I'll bet the thing has been wrecked or flooded.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts