Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. 2003 Impala 3.4L here 298k. Looking for suggestions on a decent set that should last a few years. I'll likely end up with the Fel Pro or Mahle but are any of those in the $60-$70 range any good?
For the angle measurements, are those disks that attach to the ratchet good enough or should I just buy the Snap On Techangle and be done with it? :LOL:
Also, can anyone tell me what parts I'm going to break so I can order those in advance? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Felpro is good. I’ve used 3 and never had any issues.
Be careful removing all rubber and plastic pcv and emissions stuff as it is probably brittle.
Use new head bolts, and I usually line up the wrench with a straight surface and kinda guess at it. Never had any problems.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, sounds good. I just found the ACDelco set too for $143. Does buying the better set guarantee that I'll get the upgraded LIM gaskets?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got back from shopping at RockAuto. If anyone is thinking of doing your head gaskets soon, they've got the Mahle HS4956A set for just $27.79 plus ship/tax. Definitely makes this job a little easier.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Down to the head gasket now. The only thing I broke was a tab on an electrical connection. That's very unlike me! Not even the exhaust bolts broke. I did soak them for a couple of hours In PB Blaster and tapping on them once in a while. I found no way to turn the two bolts on the rear exhaust pipe to the cat. Just didn't have the leverage so close to the firewall. I had to get under the car back by the cat I think and use a two-foot extension to reach them and a cheater on the ratchet to turn them. The one on the driver's side is a little lower so the power steering lines block it somewhat. Used a swivel socket on that. I think I'll try to rig something to pull the main exhaust pipe to the rear a little so I don't have to worry about lining up the exhaust studs with it as I lay the rear head in place. By myself here and I don't want to mess up the gasket. What do you all think?
Have to say, a nice little adventure so far. I get to stay in the garage for long periods of time and breathe in the sweet fragrance of mixed automotive fluids. Wait. That can't be good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts