Impala Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have a 2006 impala ss and my bro jus got a bone stock 2002 camaro ss and i kno i can take the intake off it but would i be able to take the heads off the camaro and put them in my impala??? has anyone done something like this or seen something like this

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
You know you should really understand what the parts are before you go looking to swap them. My understanding is your car should have 243 casting heads his car probably 241, YOUR HEADS ARE MUCH BETTER. Hell yours are the most desirable of the cathedral port heads, same casting as used on the LS6. The 243s you should have are so much better guys with Camaros will swap them on unported, usually quoted for about a 15hp gain.

Edit:
The 2002 LS1 seems to have gotten the LS6 intake which is better.

If you wanted to make 15 less HP to keep the tranny alive then the head swap seems like a good idea.

Don't go blindly assuming f-body stuff is better especially when it is so much older. OEMs constantly learn to do things better or find a little more power, or in some cases sure they make something cheaper and hurt power but not nearly as often as they improve.

On the intakes the early LS1 intake is down like 9hp 11tq from a truck intake, but the f-body owners will tell you a truck intake couldn't possibly be good. Now you can not consider a truck intake but the point is "LS1" doesn't make it magical.

GM's 6.0L LS Series Small-Block - Tech - Tune-up - Hot Rod Magazine

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so can i take my stock heads and port them and put an ls6 intake on and is there a way to get rid of the DOD so i dnt have to mod the intake that much and wat would i have to do to the car as far as porting my intake and heads??

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
Properly ported 243s and a cam could add probably 80rwhp IF the rest of the car is setup to handle it. Now a lot of shops could claim to be able to port them, but I would look for someone proven to be good with the LS cathedral heads.

I know the LS6 intake can be done but you will need to look on LS1tech like Mixedimpala04 said, that would be a good place to look into the DOD too.

Really though cars can gain a lot of performance before resorting to things like heads and cam. As Ejbeirs asked what else is done to the car?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My exhaust I'm running dual from the last O2 sensor back with 3" piping with 2 super 44 flow master mufflers I have the super chips vivid line tuner performance wires royal purple HP oil and filter

·
Registered
362 Posts
Also check LS4.com. If you're worried about keeping DOD leave the heads alone. If not look into L87 intake and head swap they're from the LS7. They are usually good for 45-50 whp but you will have to modify the intake manifold. The LS4 Intake manifold is shorter than the rest of the LS series motors. I also agree with check LS1tech.com. I know I own a 13 LTZ but I am a former owner of a 2006 GXP and a 2007 SS I have a little experience with the LS4.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Also to note, the ls4 impala engine is a few mm shorter than other ls engines to fit the fwd platform. Other products are more than likely not going To fit without modification. And the intake is backwards to accommodate the fwd accesory platform, so more work would need to be done to accommodate another ls intake. All this was read from one thread on ls1tech.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
Also check LS4.com. If you're worried about keeping DOD leave the heads alone. If not look into L87 intake and head swap they're from the LS7. They are usually good for 45-50 whp but you will have to modify the intake manifold. The LS4 Intake manifold is shorter than the rest of the LS series motors. I also agree with check LS1tech.com. I know I own a 13 LTZ but I am a former owner of a 2006 GXP and a 2007 SS I have a little experience with the LS4.
What is an L87 and are you actually suggesting LS7 heads on a 5.3l? I don't think the valves will fit the bore.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
The 243s are a GREAT head and in terms of actual on track performance many good shops will recommend them ported over even L92s ported even on larger engines much less a little 5.3l.

·
Registered
362 Posts
You're right Dwayne 7 liter heads are overkill on LS4 and there would be a good amount of modifying to get them to work. I just looked into L87 swap when I had my GXP. L87 is how GM performance lists the 7 liter intake and heads combo to buy from them. The swap has been done on a LS4 before. I'll see if I can dig up the link. Check with F.A.S.T intake manifolds too they were starting to mess around with the LS4 when I had my GXP but you have to remember I had my GXP from 2006 to 2007. I'm just trying to share what I learned then.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
Hell most 6.0l cars are faster with a well worked 243 head than with a rectangle port head. The rectangle port stuff makes a big number but rarely is it actually quickest down track I am fairly certain the valves wont even clear the 5.3l bores, hell shrouding is a problem with the smaller L92 heads and a 6.0l engines bore hence GM coming out with the 6.2l engines. I believe LS7 heads on a 5.3 physically wont fit the valve in the bore much less have room for air to move around the valve.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Like I said I agree with 243 heads. I loved them. I had so many people with LS1 motors ask if I modded my GXP and changed the heads if they could buy them from me. I think you're right he should get a good port job on his stock heads and call it a day. The intake manifold doesn't do those heads justice though and I know people with LS4s have put F.A.S.T intakes on them and made some good power. They have also went with larger throttle bodies. When I had my GXP nothing was out yet for them let alone tuning that's when GM just started using the CAN BUS . I guess that's what it was called. I don't know much about tuning OBD2. There is a lot more out for the LS4 motor now including some good tuning.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
I haven't paid much attention to the intakes as the truck intake is decent, might throw a 07+ intake on it if I could find one cheap as those have a bigger TB and are a little better. NO chance of getting one under a FWD car hood.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts