Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody. Bobby_J here, new member, I don't know if this is the correct place to post this! Hope So. I have a 2004 Chevy Impala LS, 3.8L. I am a novice in Auto Repair and just do it on my vehicles. I just finished my first project on this car, changing MAF sensor after I made sure it was the right thing to do. did pretty good on researching and diagnosing and finishing repair. I was wondering if it would be in my best interest to buy either a subscription to an online manual or hard copy at Auto Zone since I will be keeping this car for a long time I hope. also which manual would it be best to get? Thanks Ya'll in advance.

Bob.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Manuals

For years all I purchased was Chiltons, or as we called them, childrens manuals. Unfortunately ALL of the aftermarket manuals are garbage. None of them actually give you much information. They do give you some general information though. Which is best these days I am not sure. They have all gotten so bad I cannot tell the difference. If you can find a factory manaul for your car on somewhere like Ebay that is on CD it will be cheap, and it will have more info than the rest. I recently purchase a CD manual for my commuter car ( 07 Accord ) for 16 dollars. Better than anything I could get for the money. Not perfect just better. I personally prefer a hard back or soft paper manual. I have many Factory Harley manuals that of course cost more, however there is nothing that even comes close to a factory manual. So in conclusion let me say this. You will always be ahead, even if you pay double, for a factory manual than buying an aftermarket.

Jeff

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
I love my Haynes Manuals. I get done what I need to with them and understand it when I read them. I am sure I am going to get flamed for this, but I prefer the Haynes to a Chiltons.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I agree with Jeff. On my Impala I started with a Haynes and then found a Chilton's, Chilton's had vacuum diagrams which Haynes did not. Now I have the FSM's for both my vehicles and they are way ahead of the Haynes or Chilton's. That said if they are all you can find then at that point I would recommend a Chilton's for the fact it has the vacuum diagrams.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
I love my Haynes Manuals. I get done what I need to with them and understand it when I read them. I am sure I am going to get flamed for this, but I prefer the Haynes to a Chiltons.
years ago chilton were good but lately the haynes appear to be better, come march getting shop manual they are the best

·
Registered
433 Posts
If Haynes listed the nut and bolt sizes for all the components it would be the best manual on the market

1 - 7 of 7 Posts