Impala Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm working on a 2013 Impala (3.6L V6).

Either I don't know where to look correctly, or this particular engine is not used or maintained by anyone on YouTube! :p Information seems to be lacking.

Where can I find a manual on this? The Haynes website only shows the Impala up to 2011, and I can't find any downloadable FSM for the 2013 (I prefer to use the factory service manual for any car if available).

All resources welcomed! The only reason I need a manual (at the moment) is to change the thermostat and engine coolant sensor.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I bought soft copies of the factory shop manuals as PDF's from this outfit for a very reasonable price --->

Quality Service Manual

There's a lot to sift through, so it sometimes takes a little while to find exactly what I'm looking for, but I've been pretty happy with them, especially at the bargain price.

Cheers!

T-

·
Registered
287 Posts
Those are cheap Tesla! It looks like theyve got all the info in the from the OE manuals, they are even layed out just like them, the problem is and why they are are Im sure very cumbersome to use, is because GM manuals are created as a digital media first and foremost, when they are converted to print they lose features that make them easier to navigate. The bolded procedures listed in a multi-step repair are actually meant to be hyperlinks that take you to that procedure in the manual. Having to manually search for each step back and forth would definitely be a chore on certain repairs. But at $19.99 they are worth it for the torque specs and one time use bolt info alone in my mind.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Alldata and Prodemand offer single car online manuals which also gives you access to the labor time guide, tsb's, PI's, and a lot of other great information Might be something to look into.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Alldata and Prodemand offer single car online manuals which also gives you access to the labor time guide, tsb's, PI's, and a lot of other great information Might be something to look into.
The only thing is u need a subscription...I would want the info for one price...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
981 Posts
2013 Chevrolet Impala Service Manual Set - Helm Incorporated

Helm Inc., GM's Service Lit publisher, sells direct to the public. ^^^
Don't get scalped by the evilbay manual mafia. $200 will get you a brandy new full paper set without running afoul of Copyright law.
You'll definitely get what you pay for. These are the most complete information set you'll ever get on your car. Electrical info right down to Delphi electrical connector part numbers can be worth its' weight in gold sometimes. Tech-II and MDI procedures to troubleshoot...

If you want some other less in-depth manuals Helm and Chilton can work in a pinch.

·
Registered
287 Posts
2013 Chevrolet Impala Service Manual Set - Helm Incorporated

Helm Inc., GM's Service Lit publisher, sells direct to the public. ^^^
Don't get scalped by the evilbay manual mafia. $200 will get you a brandy new full paper set without running afoul of Copyright law.
You'll definitely get what you pay for. These are the most complete information set you'll ever get on your car. Electrical info right down to Delphi electrical connector part numbers can be worth its' weight in gold sometimes. Tech-II and MDI procedures to troubleshoot...

If you want some other less in-depth manuals Helm and Chilton can work in a pinch.
Yup, Helms are the actual service manual in paper form, and they are exactly what used to get delivered to and used by every dealer until 2001 when the paper manuals were superseded by the GMSi website.

If you look around on the webs, youll likely find the actual dealerships discs for the complete GM service manual as well. GM used to put every digital manual in use in the dealership on CD and deliver them to the dealerships quarterly. up til about 2007 or so IIRC. if youve got some 98-07 stuff, and you can find a set of those discs, youll be set.

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
I purchased that $20 set of electronic manuals that @Tesla mentioned above. That is more than enough for the "average joe" who just needs some of the technical info every once in a while. It's actually the same info, just in scanned format. Well worth the price, IMO.

Thanks for the heads-up on those @Tesla!

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
981 Posts
Call me old school but I'm a big fan of paper with searchable digital backup...
The power going out will not affect paper and I don't have to worry about batteries or getting grease on my laptop keyboard. >8^>

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Call me old school but I'm a big fan of paper with searchable digital backup...
The power going out will not affect paper and I don't have to worry about batteries or getting grease on my laptop keyboard. >8^>
Simple solution to that is printing off JUST the pages you need from digital format. Take them with you when working on whatever it is you are working on and pitch them in the trash when done. No paper manual with dirty greasy pages and no oil or grease on your keyboard.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Simple solution to that is printing off JUST the pages you need from digital format. Take them with you when working on whatever it is you are working on and pitch them in the trash when done. No paper manual with dirty greasy pages and no oil or grease on your keyboard.
I like my paper manuals with greasy fingerprints. It's antiquing like the worm holes in my kitchen table...:giggle::beer:

Humor aside. I like paper for some reason... Big heavy paper manuals. Have em for tractors, loaders, commercial lawn mowers, cars, trucks, etc.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I always print the pages I'll need to reference and take them to the garage with me, rather than a laptop or tablet. They're great for checking off the individual steps of a procedure, so I can be sure I didn't skip anything, and for making notes on.

But I do save all my greasy printouts in a binder for possible reference sometime in the future, because the notes can be very helpful.

Cheers!

T-

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I always print the pages I'll need to reference and take them to the garage with me, rather than a laptop or tablet. They're great for checking off the individual steps of a procedure, so I can be sure I didn't skip anything, and for making notes on.

But I do save all my greasy printouts in a binder for possible reference sometime in the future, because the notes can be very helpful.
Same here. I have all sorts of stuff, mostly drawings, which I've printed out - from multiple sources - and stuffed them into my Haynes manuals. (And both the Haynes and the printouts have a few grease spots on them.)

The one issue I run into is that the digital manuals are often not printer friendly. For example, the text may come out on one page while the pic it applies to is on another. So I'll often put some extra editing time into hacking them into more readable printouts.

Doug

·
Registered
981 Posts
Same here. I have all sorts of stuff, mostly drawings, which I've printed out - from multiple sources - and stuffed them into my Haynes manuals. (And both the Haynes and the printouts have a few grease spots on them.)

The one issue I run into is that the digital manuals are often not printer friendly. For example, the text may come out on one page while the pic it applies to is on another. So I'll often put some extra editing time into hacking them into more readable printouts.

Doug

The nice thing about digital manuals is the ability to scale things like schematics up and print on larger pages.
8.5x11 or 11x17 becomes 12x18 with better detail readability for my old eyes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts