Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have timing set a 4 btdc, dwell at 28, doggy on takeoff, also need info on correct way to vent crankcase. Has orignal smooth rockers (no pvc holes) Has 4 bl rochester carb. Everything is new in engine and compression is all good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am assuming you don't have vacuum advance since you have the old school points? I would give it more advance on the timingtry around 6-10, anytime you hop up an engine you should advance the timing, plus 4 degrees is pretty lean on the timing. After mechanical advance, weights in distributor, what is your total timing? I would aim for something near the 28-32 degrees total timing. Just be careful not to advance it too far as it will ping then. Is that quadrajet a vacuum or mechanical secondaries? Does the engine bog and then take off or just bog and not really feel alive all the way through rpm range? Personally on my old stuff I just use a vacuum gauge and timing light to tune my engine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have experienced the same problem and it turned out that the timing chain was out by 1 tooth. But then again I have also had the same problems with improperly adjusted rocker arms. Just some idea's :confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you have the stock intake manifold you can knock a hole in the oil fill tube and either run a filter directly off that or run a line off that to a vacuum port on the carb.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts