Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought an '08 SS (slightly used with 10k on it). I've wanted something a little zoomier for years. Seems like the last few days with the car I have lots of 'challengers' at stop lights--mostly guys in their Honda Accords--30ish to 40ish years old like me. So far none of the challengers have come close to keeping up with the SS. But, I thought I better do a little research; found that the Honda Accord line does offer a V6 with around 271 horsepower/250 torque. An acquaintance of mine who used to race cars albeit many years ago told me that "no v6 is going to outpace the v8 in my SS 'cause it simply doesn't have the torque."
However, a neighbor I was chatting with regarding my SS is a Honda fanatic and fully believes that the V6 Honda putting out the 271 HP would whup an SS. Anyone out there have any opinions, or better yet, real-world experience?

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
A stock Honda, IMHO, would not be able to keep up with your stock SS. Now it might have a chance with some after market mods, but then add some mods to yours and he will again be left behind.:biggrin:

·
Registered
184 Posts
A 2008 SS has 303hp.

You'll dust em.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Accord 261 hp 3577lbs = .07297 hp/pound all i could find said the 6spd had a fgr of 3.55 and the 5spd auto haso a 4.31 fgr...but that doesnt seem right
Impala 303 hp 3710 lbs = .08167 hp/pound 2.93 final drive gear ratio

Trans data not withstanding, the Imp should easily walk the Accord (at least on paper) ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys. I can't believe I'm 45 years old and worrying about whether my new ride can "win" at an unofficial stoplight drag race. My wife thinks I've gone crazy--maybe I have. Does the mid-life crisis hit at my age? I thought not 'till some time in the 50's.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I own a Accord also it's a 4cyl I have had two Accord's for the past 4yrs I was not big on the imports but I love my Honda and but I will not love it more than my Impala. :biggrin:
Here's a pic

·
Registered
483 Posts
However, a neighbor I was chatting with regarding my SS is a Honda fanatic and fully believes that the V6 Honda putting out the 271 HP would whup an SS. Anyone out there have any opinions, or better yet, real-world experience?
Tell him to put up or shut up.

My wife thinks I've gone crazy--maybe I have. Does the mid-life crisis hit at my age? I thought not 'till some time in the 50's.
It all depends on your life expantancy. I would say you being 45 is past his mid-life mark. Not knowing anything about you and not wishing you to die before the age 90 I am taking the national life average age of 77.
As for midlife crisis do the typical thing and get a ZO6 or Challenger SRT8.

·
Registered
197 Posts
the new ss and similiar engined cars will go mid to high 13s bone stock manually shifting the trans. I've yet to see any Honda besides the S2000 get anywhere near numbers like that. Driver's experience can play a role, but you've got more than enough power to walk all over it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts