Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 impala with the 3.8 engine, it only has 66,000 miles on it but a few weeks ago it started acting up. When I accelerate some times it hiccups, it hesitates for a half a second like the pistons are not firing or something. Also when the car is in drive but I’m at a full stop the car sometimes cuts out. It feels like gas isn’t getting to the pistons. I've spent hours online looking for the solution because I don't have the money or time to let a shop play around with it. I think it is either the camshaft position sensor or the crankshaft position sensor. (Maybe the MAF sensor but I don’t think so)

If anybody has had the same problem or has any info or advice please let me know

·
Registered
557 Posts
Is your check engine light on? If I were you go to an autozone or Advanced Auto Parts, and have them scan the code. And let us know what they come up with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No the check engine light isn't on, i took it to autozone a week or two ago just to be sure but it's not pulling any codes.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I wouldn't rule out a bad MAF sensor either, if you unplug the MAF sensor does it seem to run any better? *Note - The check engine light will come on so you'll have to erase the codes later.

·
Registered
657 Posts
^this is also true.

OP: are you running an oiled filter by any chance? i.e. K&N cone or similar?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a '96 Impala and my check engine light code registered P0336 'Crankshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Range / Performance'. Just happened this morning... not sure of the symptoms yet.. it hasn't cut off on me yet while driving...

·
Banned
351 Posts
I have the same "hiccup" problem in my 07 SS... It only occurs when I have been driving the car for at least 30 minutes... when im stopped in traffic and try to accelerate, there is a slight pause before I actually hear throttle. And once I do hear throttle its somewhat of a jump. Its happened ever since I got the car and is very annoying when sitting in traffic.

Any ideas? Or is this normal.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have a 2001 impala with the 3.8 engine, it only has 66,000 miles on it but a few weeks ago it started acting up. When I accelerate some times it hiccups, it hesitates for a half a second like the pistons are not firing or something. Also when the car is in drive but I’m at a full stop the car sometimes cuts out. It feels like gas isn’t getting to the pistons. I've spent hours online looking for the solution because I don't have the money or time to let a shop play around with it. I think it is either the camshaft position sensor or the crankshaft position sensor. (Maybe the MAF sensor but I don’t think so)

If anybody has had the same problem or has any info or advice please let me know
I had that problem on my old 02 3.8 and ended up replacing the MAF sensor in it. I had just about the same amount of miles of the vehicle. Everything was pretty much the exact same way stall out when at a stop and the car would knock real hard while driving.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Hey Thanks for the link. ..I have a 'DriveRight' Carchip monitoring the codes... 'Till I schedule a trip to the shop are there other parameters I can monitor to help isolate more?

Here's the status of the engine at the time of the code firing:

Engine Status
Fuel Pressure (Gage)
Intake Manifold Pressure (Absolute) 5.7 psi
Engine Coolant Temperature 141.8 F
Calculated Load Value 2.4%
Engine Speed 604RPM
Vehicle Speed 0MPH

I changed to of them to 'Throttle Position' and 'Timing Advance'

Thank again,

juggernaut7

·
Registered
1 Posts
something to try.

My friend had a problem like this with his grand am. This might work might not but its cheap and worth a try. Go to an auto parts store and purchase "SEA FOAM" its an engining cleaning solution. You then want to pour 1/3 of the bottle into some type of cup that won't melt (so not styrofoam) and then disconnect your break vacum line and feed this sea foam into that line while the engine is running. This will then suck it into the engine and clean everything pretty much. You might need to gas it a bit to keep the car running durring this process due to the "vacum" leak" your exhase will probally blow out white smoke, but that is all the carbon and other engine dirt burning out. Afterward reconect your break vacum line and enjoy a smoother running engine. with the other two thirds fo sea foam put it into your gas tank and that will clean your fuel delivery system as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts