Impala Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang.

'96 RM WGN w/44K mi.
When I bought this car in S. Cal last February the car had been sitting in a driveway at least 18mo. Guess what? The sprinkling system for this well-to-do home with red brick driveway worked flawlessly turning on each day... and spraying the passenger side of the car.

I can remove the hard water deposits from the paint and chrome, and it does not really show much on the woodgrain. But the windows are another story.
What the heck can I use to remove the spots. I have thrown everything at it with no luck. Not even white vinegar, Heck, even the rubbing/polishing compounds I used on the other stuff don't cut through it. The acid-based custom wheel cleaner that worked on the alum trim was useless.

Now what?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Your solution may lie

At your local bimart, or such. Try some CLR. C alcium L ime R ust remover. It's what I've always used to remove the hard water deposits from shower heads and shower doors. That might work. Careful work with a razor blade might work too, I know from experience you cat take off tacky stickers that previous owners have applied that way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hard water

Tried that too.

Can calcium & lime deposits literally ETCH window glass making the glass unfixable?
Is the water in Los Angeles lethal to auto glass if left on it over time?

Scott

At your local bimart, or such. Try some CLR. C alcium L ime R ust remover. It's what I've always used to remove the hard water deposits from shower heads and shower doors. That might work. Careful work with a razor blade might work too, I know from experience you cat take off tacky stickers that previous owners have applied that way.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well

If it's acidic enough, I suppose so, but I don't see how it'd be THAT acidic, and still be drinkable. IF it was etched, you should be able to feel it. There has to be a solution.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would think anything that could etch glass would destroy clearcoat and vinyl appliqué, wouldn't it?? Have you tried toothpaste? I've had good luck using that to get scratches off glass.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RE: Hard water stains on auto glass

O.k., I'll bite.
What exactly is a "clay bar"?
Something like cheap cat litter that is solid?
Where do I find one?

I'm still looking for suggestions on these annoying hard water stains. CLR does not make a dent.

Thanks

Scott

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Hard water stain on auto glass

Thanks Dintymoore.

I'll try your ideas this weekend.
Razor blade and Windex? Bruce's glass goo? Comet? I will give all a try, with the Comet being last.

Heck, I cannot even see out the windows on the passenger side when backing up if the sun is hitting at a certain angle.

What Have I got to lose?

Thanks again.

Scott

·
Registered
197 Posts
Only way to get rid of hard water spots is usually claying, a vingar solution, buffing etc. I my RMS completely buffed last year when it had the body work done. It was in bad need of wax, but had to wait 3 months due to new paint in the rear. When I got it out, I finally bought zaino, and put it on. Man does the paint look good.

Bad thing was a couple weeks after since I wasn't driving the car full time yet, they redid a wall in the basement of my house I rent. They decided to let all that cement dust cover my car from cutting cinder blocks. I wasn't able to wash it in time and it rained and dried. Ate spots in the clear coat all over the hood, roof, and trunk.

I was able to get them off the roof, and trunk with light claying, but the spots on the hood are still there. I'd probably have to dewax the hood and start over. :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RE: Hardwater removal-"Claying"?

What is "Claying"?

Thanks.

Scott

Only way to get rid of hard water spots is usually claying, a vingar solution, buffing etc. I my RMS completely buffed last year when it had the body work done. It was in bad need of wax, but had to wait 3 months due to new paint in the rear. When I got it out, I finally bought zaino, and put it on. Man does the paint look good.

Bad thing was a couple weeks after since I wasn't driving the car full time yet, they redid a wall in the basement of my house I rent. They decided to let all that cement dust cover my car from cutting cinder blocks. I wasn't able to wash it in time and it rained and dried. Ate spots in the clear coat all over the hood, roof, and trunk.

I was able to get them off the roof, and trunk with light claying, but the spots on the hood are still there. I'd probably have to dewax the hood and start over. :(

·
Registered
52 Posts
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=2010&itemType=PRODUCT
This kit has been around for quite some time. It comes with polishing compound and a special polishing wheel that will work with a standard drill. It is designed for removing scratches and haze from windshields and windows. If you have tried liquid chemicals and not gotten any results it is time to use a mild abrasive. Let us know what works, as you seem to be trying everything under the sun.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
saw an add for some spot stain romnver from that billy mays guy or whatever that sells oxyclean someone might want to try that

·
Registered
2 Posts
years ago when i had my 94 z-28 people next to me painted there house. over spray went on to my vehicle. there insurance paid for repairs.body shop said to use a cleaner like comet. but i cant remember the excact name.i think it was brillo .says right on tube hasnt scratched a window yet.motor trend said same thing. awful to get old.memory goes first. what year is this?:confused:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts