Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,
Im new to this forum,but am a senior member of the forum of my "other" vehicle...anyway,My wifes 02 Impala LS has an intermittent shifting issue.
Ive maintained the car since new,and did a "Garage" tranny service at 80,000 miles.(Pan fluid/filter gasket)...no complete flush.... Its now about to roll over 100,000 miles.
While the car drives great 98% of the time,occasionally it will start shifting "hard"...It did it this afternoon for the second time,and i can about garuntee that in the morning it will perform flawlessly as usual.
Whatever this is,its extremely intermittent. There have been no codes presented.....Im open for ideas here. 3.8 Auto O/D

Thanks in advance!:notworthy::notworthy::headbang::headbang:

Alan

·
Registered
78 Posts
mine does to

i have a 2000 impala ls and i notice when it warms up and the temp gauge is in the middle the car tends to shift hard

·
Registered
9 Posts
greyghost

I found a good reply from WEDEBROOK,He said that the PCS could be the problem. Another guy had it changed by a shop and it fixed the problem. Total repair cost $350. That is better than $1700 to $2500 for overhaul.:smile:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Pressure control Solenoid aye. that sounds like the exact thing my impala is doing. ive read to also go ahead and change the filter and fluid. although i dont think my 04 3.4 base impala had a filter cause i just changed the trans fluid 20k miles ago.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I found a good reply from WEDEBROOK,He said that the PCS could be the problem. Another guy had it changed by a shop and it fixed the problem. Total repair cost $350. That is better than $1700 to $2500 for overhaul.:smile:
Depends on what you're doing with the car. If you're modding the engine for HP, then I'd go with the overhaul. But yes, the money is on the EPC solenoid.

Pressure control Solenoid aye. that sounds like the exact thing my impala is doing. ive read to also go ahead and change the filter and fluid. although i dont think my 04 3.4 base impala had a filter cause i just changed the trans fluid 20k miles ago.
uhhh...you better have a filter on there. Else I'd be worried about what's running through your tranny.:eek:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I am haveing the same problem with a 2000 impala. So if you find out let me know ([email protected])
Has any one changed the pcs at home? How hard is it for a seasoned machanic?
I don't do emails. It's what a forum is for.

To change the EPC Solenoid, you need to get at the side cover on the trans. This means you need to pull the driver's side axle, undo the top motor mounts, drop the cradle about 8 inches, and then you can remove the side cover. The EPC Solenoid is inside plugged into the valve body.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am haveing the same problem with a 2000 impala. So if you find out let me know ([email protected])
Has any one changed the pcs at home? How hard is it for a seasoned machanic?
i got mine fixed today. i ended up spending $515 total. i probably coulda negotiated and got a better price if i had more time. but i leave to go back overseas friday and needed it done. went to a local transmission shop called "the transmission physician."

dude did i top notch job. he also said to change the trans fluid every 10k miles. he said its breaks down just like motor oil and change it to keep the trans in good shape.

i changed my trans fluid 20k miles ago. today he said the trans fluid was really black and worn out.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Let us know how it behaves over the next 10,000 miles.

$500 is about right. Shop around here I went to said they'd do it for $400, but I knew the owner.

Good luck! And glad you got it taken care of asap.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
i'm having the same problem right now. what happens if i don't fix this?
Best case scenario, you have intermittent shifting issues for the life of the vehicle. Worst case, catastrophic failure of the transmission.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
he also said to change the trans fluid every 10k miles. he said its breaks down just like motor oil and change it to keep the trans in good shape.
How many agree with this? Anything that can make these trannies last longer, I'll do it, I take care of 12 of these freaking things at work and the trannies have been fairly brittle. Not to hijack the thread, I just want to know if that would help.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
GM says that you only need to do a fluid change every 100k miles. I'm planning on running my new one with regular changes probably at 10k.

So in other words, changing it won't hurt. Replacing it at 10-25k miles will only make it last longer.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Parts up here are priced ridiculous, so changing the fluid and filter in the trans will run up to 120 bucks a shot, doing it yourself.

Say a trans is good for only 100k without doing it, I'd have 1200 to contribute to a transmission rebuild/repair.

I suspect the previous owner of my car whipped it like a dead horse, since it came with a trailer hitch and the trans is now pooched at about 101,000 miles. :|

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
talk about being vague...:dunno:
You asked what happens. I told you. Either it'll blow out eventually, or you just suffer with intermittent shifting issues for the life of the car. If you're looking for a countdown timer I could make one up for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here is the persons # i have been dealing with 1-866-790-5600 ext 11310. Tell her your problem, she wants to hear all about it. She is a GM customer service rep. Maybe if they get enough calls they will issue a recall. Be sure to leave a message.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here is the # for a GM customer service rep 1-866-790-5600 ext 11310. She is now knowledgable about this problem since I have spoke with her. The problem is well known from years 97-2005 with these GM transaxles. But yet no recall. If no answer leave a message. Maybe GM does not know that people are having these problems and should be informed about them instead of just bashing them.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts