Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1981 Impala that has been giving me hell.
The main problem is the break lights wont work. Half of my tail lights work when the car is on and head lights off, if I turn the head lights on they all work. Reverse lights work, and blinkers work. Its the passenger side that will not work.
I have replaced the stop light switch and fuse (which was blown) and the drivers side back indicator bulb (also blown).
I have chased the wires all the way back to the firewall, didn't notice anything.
I am just stuck now and have no idea what else to look at/for.
Thanks in advance for ANY ideas thrown at me, I really appreciate any help I can get.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Agreed, definitely sounds like a grounding issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
On some of cars of that vintage, the stop (brake) lights were on the same fuse. You might check your fuse panel to see if this is the case with your car. If the fuse is blown, replace it. Also, make sure that you have the correct bulbs in the tailight assemblies. Some people don't pay attention, and put in bulbs with two the tail light/turn-stop light elements reversed. In this case, the element intended for the tail lights (lighter element) would light when the brakes are applied, possibly blowing out the elements. The tail lights would also be affected since the heavier elements intended for the stop lights would draw more current than the regular tail light.

I would be interested to hear if any of this informtion proves to be useful to you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts