Impala Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Impala LTZ that I can afford because it hit a deer
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First repair (paid a mechanic): transmission slips, didn't even want to think about it, got out in front of it as fast as I could.
Second (Paid a mechanic): overheating, running on, some shit broke. It was my busy season at work and I needed the car to do the thing where it goes, so I paid a guy. Thermostat or something I think.
Third (paid a mechanic): p0442 error, didn't wanna think about it. He did something, error went away for like 3 weeks
Fourth (said fuck it and bought a code reader): p0442 and p0496, watched
and fixed it in the parking lot of auto zone in like 30 minutes, that part's still ok as far as I know

New arc
Fifth problem (fuck if I know): No errors, but small leaks are coming out, apparently only when I turn the wheel. You know, the steering wheel. The other 4 turn just fine. I usually turn it pretty quick when I'm setting up to pull back into my spot, that's where the most comes out. So, power steering fluid? Dipped it already, it was at full while hot, haven't dipped it cold, but I'm assuming it's full. I notice it most right after it rains, when there's some water on the parking lot, because it makes the funny rainbow puddles I used to see coming out from under my ford (rest it's soul. It lived to 16 then I blew an engine head, non 0 chance I over filled the oil trying to replace what fell out of the bottom.) So, what've we got here, oil, gas, transmission fluid (because I gotta shift gears to back into my spot, see,) or mystery juice?

I'll try and find out the color and smell tomorrow. Looks like a darker color on dry days, seems to drip near the front of the car for sure. Suspiciously close to the oil filter. But then why only when I turn?

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
300 Posts
PO442, .... Yikes!

My '04 Monte's CEL was ON for months on end.
I cruised the Chevy Shoppes in MA, NH and ME hoping to get that light out long enough for an annual Insp Sticker.
I was so persistent about solving the "Eternal CkEngLte",... some places donated Gas Caps, and "Under-Hood" Emission-related goodies. We had replaced everything, ... BUT ... the FUEL Tank Pressure Sender.***

Once the Tank Pressure Sender was in,... we fired-up the Monte ... and the CEL went OUT (( by itself= NO manual reset )).
Auto part Camera accessory Gas Plastic Cable

Here's a look at the FUEL TANK PRESSURE SENDER***

The "Probe-End" circled above was broken-off from the assy, ... stuck down-in the receptacle for it atop FUEL PMP.
When we got the Pump OUT, ... we didnt think the Ear-Plug looking-like thing was coming out of there.

This Part >>>. ENDED <<<. EVAP related Codes!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PO442, .... Yikes!

My '04 Monte's CEL was ON for months on end.
I cruised the Chevy Shoppes in MA, NH and ME hoping to get that light out long enough for an annual Insp Sticker.
I was so persistent about solving the "Eternal CkEngLte",... some places donated Gas Caps, and "Under-Hood" Emission-related goodies. We had replaced everything, ... BUT ... the FUEL Tank Pressure Sender.***

Once the Tank Pressure Sender was in,... we fired-up the Monte ... and the CEL went OUT (( by itself= NO manual reset )).
View attachment 164961
Here's a look at the FUEL TANK PRESSURE SENDER***

The "Probe-End" circled above was broken-off from the assy, ... stuck down-in the receptacle for it atop FUEL PMP.
When we got the Pump OUT, ... we didnt think the Ear-Plug looking-like thing was coming out of there.

This Part >>>. ENDED <<<. EVAP related Codes!!!
But I thought my Evap code days were over. I got lucky, just had to replace the solenoid, you know the gen 9 3.6 engine one you can access from under the hood, nothing on it but two hoses and a 10mm bolt. Did that in 30 minutes in front of auto zone, and my EVAP hasn't complained since. The light hasn't been on since anyways; the dash is clean and all that. No codes, just leaks. Do you think the tank pressure sensor has got some kind of leak? It might, I don't know. Don't know anything really.

·
Registered
300 Posts

When we got-around to seriously troubleshooting what was keeping the CEL permanently ON forever; we found this piece was Foo-bar.
Circled part was broken-off from main body.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update, just felt the bottom of the oil filter, and there's oil there. Guess I found my culprit. I bought a oil filter wrench on my way home, and once I get brave, I'll see if maybe tightening it a little will fix it. I won't bother with trying to loosen it any; I figure if over tightening was my problem, then there's nothing I could do, because the seals woulda been crushed too thin or busted. Last oil change, I let some cheap shop work on it. They haven't fucked me up before. But here we are. If I'm in particularly bad luck (like usual with this bucket,) the threads might be stripped. There's only one real fast way to find out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm gonna try the cheap-o solution first. Got me an oil filter wrench, and I'm gonna try giving the oil filter a quarter turn, just in case the knuckle heads who last did my oil for me just hand tightened it. If tightening it a bit more doesn't do it, then it might be on too tight, meaning shit's fucked, and the seal is probably all compressed and busted now, and I've pretty much gotta get another oil change. And there's always the possibility that I don't know shit. We'll see! Here's a picture showing the oil spills I've been leaving in the company lot. The one on the passenger side is kind of hard to see, but they're all like this. When I start to back up after pulling past the space I want, oil falls out. I parked on the passenger side the day before, and the driver's side when I came in, and the space it's in at the time of the photo was where I parked when I came back from lunch. Why there's no oil trail, who knows.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
If you remove/swap oil filters, there's no need to do an entire oil change unless it's due because you'll only lose about a pint. If you do remove the filter, check to see that there's not 2 oil filter gaskets/seals causing your leak. Sometimes an old seal will stick to the mounting base and go unnoticed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts