Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What source and type of replacement socket/ harness are others using?
I have a low beam headlight that has been acting up and not working. Started some time back and the original socket was all brown (white molded plastic) from the heat and corroded also at the contacts. I ended up going to the part store and asked about replacement. They recommended 2 different ones.The one was according to them a basic, and the second a bit more money but designed for higher temperatures. Not 100% sure of the brand but all my searching show this similar style. I purchased and installed the better of the 2 that had the higher temperature rating and it was pretty hard to get the plug on the bulb because it was a longer mount harness. Had to put the bulb in the lens and then get the plug onto the socket after it was in place due to the tight fit. But I did manage to get it working and the wires were tight against the edge but solved the issue of the light cutting in and out for maybe 6 months. Then it was again intermittent. Now it is pretty much failing all the time. Today I took the lamp assembly out, checked everything out and verified the bulb is not burnt out. I removed the bulb from the mount, put it back on and tested and if I wiggled the wiring in the back I could get it to light up. I tried to zip tie the wires and wrap it with some tape and again as soon as I put the bulb back in it was loosing contact and not working.

Not the exact one- but the harness is very much like this: H11 harness.png

Any source for a shorter socket, or am I doing something wrong in the mounting of the bulb/socket?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
What source and type of replacement socket/ harness are others using?
I have a low beam headlight that has been acting up and not working. Started some time back and the original socket was all brown (white molded plastic) from the heat and corroded also at the contacts. I ended up going to the part store and asked about replacement. They recommended 2 different ones.The one was according to them a basic, and the second a bit more money but designed for higher temperatures. Not 100% sure of the brand but all my searching show this similar style. I purchased and installed the better of the 2 that had the higher temperature rating and it was pretty hard to get the plug on the bulb because it was a longer mount harness. Had to put the bulb in the lens and then get the plug onto the socket after it was in place due to the tight fit. But I did manage to get it working and the wires were tight against the edge but solved the issue of the light cutting in and out for maybe 6 months. Then it was again intermittent. Now it is pretty much failing all the time. Today I took the lamp assembly out, checked everything out and verified the bulb is not burnt out. I removed the bulb from the mount, put it back on and tested and if I wiggled the wiring in the back I could get it to light up. I tried to zip tie the wires and wrap it with some tape and again as soon as I put the bulb back in it was loosing contact and not working.

Not the exact one- but the harness is very much like this: View attachment 164024

Any source for a shorter socket, or am I doing something wrong in the mounting of the bulb/socket?
View attachment 164024

Year, make, model and trim line would be helpful.

You can obtain a replacement wiring harness by taking your VIN to your local Chevrolet (or GM) dealer. That would ensure an high-quality, exact fit OEM part (vs. an aftermarket part or aftermarket generic part).

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The year is 2010 and model is LT with the 3.5L engine but every 8th Gen that I have seen have the same headlights assembly. Unless someone goes over to the 3rd party after market Halogen or LED bulbs, these standard sockets have been known to have issues with the heat- especially the low beams that are also the daytime running lights.... Hence why there are the ceramic and higher heat after market sockets.

I'll look at the GM parts explosion, but the Rock Auto listings include a ACDelco harness that is just like posted (but it is in the premium listings.) 2010 CHEVROLET IMPALA 3.5L V6 Headlamp Socket | RockAuto

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The year is 2010 and model is LT with the 3.5L engine but every 8th Gen that I have seen have the same headlights assembly. Unless someone goes over to the 3rd party after market Halogen or LED bulbs, these standard sockets have been known to have issues with the heat- especially the low beams that are also the daytime running lights.... Hence why there are the ceramic and higher heat after market sockets.

I'll look at the GM parts explosion, but the Rock Auto listings include a ACDelco harness that is just like posted (but it is in the premium listings.) 2010 CHEVROLET IMPALA 3.5L V6 Headlamp Socket | RockAuto

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The parts diagram on this site that someone posted shows the harness part number as 25842432. It is in fact the full wiring for each and every bulb and connector and there is not a part number for each individual bulb, hence to 3rd party offerings for the individual H11 socket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts