Impala Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a 2014 Impala, but I'm having a tough time determining how well this car will do in snow. I live in Michigan and sometimes winters can be rough. I cannot find the minimum ground clearance on any website. Does anyone know the ground clearance? And how do you guys think it will do in snow?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
My 06 Impala does really well in the snow with winter tires. :D

·
Banned
368 Posts
Would probably be more useful to hear from those who have the 2012/2013 models with the more powerful V-6. Hopefully the traction control system will help things out. But of course the best you can do is to get good snow tires for the winter time (not all season, but good soft snow tires)

·
Registered
545 Posts
my 12 sucks in the snow. if you like the car get it then buy a beater ;)

grownd clearance on the 12 is the same as the wife denali if your talking bottom of bumper. so a few inches of snow you will be pushing it.

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
I haven't had my 2012 Impala in the winter yet, but I spin tire easily just when it's raining, so I've been a little worried that it may not be very good in the snow... I'm guessing that it's due to the gearing - 1st gear just spins the wheels too fast...

I had a 1995 Gran Prix and it had a "2nd Gear Start" switch, which was great in the winter - would help avoid the wheel spin. I wish I had that on my 2012 Impala!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
519 Posts
I haven't had my 2012 Impala in the winter yet, but I spin tire easily just when it's raining, so I've been a little worried that it may not be very good in the snow... I'm guessing that it's due to the gearing - 1st gear just spins the wheels too fast...

I had a 1995 Gran Prix and it had a "2nd Gear Start" switch, which was great in the winter - would help avoid the wheel spin. I wish I had that on my 2012 Impala!

I've noticed the same on my 12 too. Wasn't sure if it is tires, more power, trans, or a combination.... I'm def considering new tires before the snow starts flying.

My 06 seemed like it handled rain much better :banghead:

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
So the Goodyear tires that come on the 2012 are really that bad? I always thought Goodyear made decent tires - I guess not! I bought mine with 19k and I currently have 25k, so I think the tires still have a decent amount of tread on them. I would hate to replace them when they don't actually need replaced.

Are they just junk tires though? Just curious... I don't know much about tires, to be honest!

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
It's a pretty common consensus around here from 8th gen owners that the tires are just bad overall. I've heard the most complaints in poor weather conditions, but advanced wear, noise and reduced traction on the whole seem to be the biggest complaints.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2014 owner here.

I don't know the minimum ground clearance, nor have we gotten any snow since I bought the car, but the front scrapes the ground unless I pull out of my complex's driveway at an angle. But that may be an issue of the length between the front of the car and the front tires. I don't know that measurement either, but the car is certainly a long one at 17'.

I'm not sure if that helps you. I'll try to remember to take a measurement and get back to you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I lowered my car and scrape the air dam just pulling into my girlfriends driveway... Just don't pull the air dam off though, it helps block rocks and debris from hitting your oil pan and trans pan.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've just bought my 2014 Impala and haven't measured underneath, but Consumer Reports last year gave the ground clearance as 6 inches. That's more than most sedans these days, I think.

·
Registered
568 Posts
So the Goodyear tires that come on the 2012 are really that bad? I always thought Goodyear made decent tires - I guess not! I bought mine with 19k and I currently have 25k, so I think the tires still have a decent amount of tread on them. I would hate to replace them when they don't actually need replaced.

Are they just junk tires though? Just curious... I don't know much about tires, to be honest!

My RSA's on my old 2002 j-body were great.

Maybe it was the car?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm thinking about buying a 2014 Impala, but I'm having a tough time determining how well this car will do in snow. I live in Michigan and sometimes winters can be rough. I cannot find the minimum ground clearance on any website. Does anyone know the ground clearance? And how do you guys think it will do in snow?
You'll be safe in Saginaw with an Impala :eek:k3: We get many times the snowfall you do. We hit 320" once in the mid 90s. We got 3-4" in 2-3 hours yesterday. Pretty much heavy slush. I didn't want to go out, but had to for a quick trip to town. I was a tad surprised at how well the car did shod with it's OEM Potenza 20" tires.

The clearance on this car is not much different than any other full size sedan out there. I was scraping some snow off the bottom going down some of the 'trail.' No problem.

We just picked this car up a week ago amd are coming from 2010 Lacrosee which had the RSA tire on it. The Potenzas are better from my short ride yesterday.

However; there is no all season tire or amount of clearance that makes up for a good snow tire! There is no comparison. I had a set of mounted/balanced wheel/winter tires for the Lacrosse. The Lacrosse came with 19s. The Blizzaks are 17s. This package will fit on the new Impala too...even with the 20s. I'll put them on next fall.

IMO....some things to remember about winter driving where snow/ice is heavy: Traction is not likely what will get you killed. Steering and stopping is. Therefore clearance should not the driving factor. Steering and stopping is. Once you experience the vast difference in steering,stopping, and traction with snow tires, You'll feel compromised without them. It's possible you don't need them in Saginaw, but there are lots of crazy driver's down there who don't know how to drive in snowy conditions because they have little experience. (we are down there a fair amount...including this coming week end) Having the extra measure of protection for those times may well be worth the cost.

·
Registered
567 Posts

clearance--no issues
stock tires? AIDS has better traction than those shit stock garbage tires have...downright dangerous. (yes i have driven on a lot of tires...)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts