Impala Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 2013 Chevrolet Impala and the other day I noticed that when I turn left at full lock I can hear a grinding type sound but when I turn right there is nothing just left and doesn't happen all the time.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Hello I have a 2013 Chevrolet Impala and the other day I noticed that when I turn left at full lock I can hear a grinding type sound but when I turn right there is nothing just left and doesn't happen all the time.

Your model has a hydraulic fluid power steering system. It is common for it to make a growling noise when the steering wheel is turned to full-travel, left or right.

I would check the power steering pump fluid level - see your vehicle owner’s manual of the proper level when checking. The manual may also mention that the noise is normal.

You may want to also check the condition of the engine’s serpentine belt. If glazed, worn, or cracked - it can cause power steering noise.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
And where is the power steering pump to check the fluid level

Information containing the pump location and checking procedure is contained in your vehicle owner’s manual.

If the fluid level is low, use the fluid specified by GM in the manual. Don’t let others tell you a variety of fluids are “okay” to use.

If the fluid is low, you either have a leak or it was not filled properly after some type of service. The system does not “use” fluid.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
The ps reservoir is near the pass. firewall area on your '13. Black dipstick cap with white steering wheel pic on it. Fwiw, I use dexron 6 atf for ps fluid.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
The ps reservoir is near the pass. firewall area on your '13. Black dipstick cap with white steering wheel pic on it. Fwiw, I use dexron 6 atf for ps fluid.
GM does not recommend transmission fluid, Dexron IV, for the power steering system on the 2013 Impala. It recommends GM power steering fluid, GM part number 89021184.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
There is no Dexron IV, only Dexron VI, and of course old Dexron III. I started using Dex 6 at the advice of several GM techs, a couple on here. They said for ps r&r and pump replacement at the dealership service dept., they refill with Dex 6 atf. They deemed it a superior hydraulic fluid. I've been using it in my '12/'13 since 2013 with no issues. My son's '16 Limited was swapped over to it 2-3 yrs. ago again with no problems. I drain/refill the reservoir annually using a dedicated turkey baster. Also, much easier to maintain the tranny/ps with 1 fluid on hand. To each his own.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
There is no Dexron IV, only Dexron VI, and of course old Dexron III. I started using Dex 6 at the advice of several GM techs, a couple on here. They said for ps r&r and pump replacement at the dealership service dept., they refill with Dex 6 atf. They deemed it a superior hydraulic fluid. I've been using it in my '12/'13 since 2013 with no issues. My son's '16 Limited was swapped over to it 2-3 yrs. ago again with no problems. I drain/refill the reservoir annually using a dedicated turkey baster. Also, much easier to maintain the tranny/ps with 1 fluid on hand. To each his own.

You’re correct about Dexron VI - I apologize for my mistyping.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
One other thought on this... The wheel speed sensor wires can get worn causing intermittent connections to the computer. The result is that the ABS or traction control functions can fire which causes a grinding like sound, especially the traction control. You may notice a slight pull in the steering when it occurs.

The intermittent wire connection can cause the signal to look like a locked wheel (for an open connection) or a spinning wheel (for a static-y connection).

The connectors at the front steering knuckles - both, since either wheel could be causing it - should be inspected to be sure the wires are solidly connected and the connectors are fully seated. After that, the wires must be removed from the loom and inspected, looking for a broken wire. The breaks usually occur at one of the plastic tie downs on the frame or control arm, usually within the last ~2 feet of cabling.

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
^+1 with Doug. I was experiencing intermittent flare-ups with abs/stabilitrac/traction control on all 3 cars which became much more frequent on all 3 on slow turns. I ordered 6 replacement wiring pigtails from overseas. While waiting for delivery, I read on here 1 member solved the annoying issue by disconnecting the sensors at each wheel and spraying both ends of the plugs with elec. contact cleaner then slathering both ends of the plugs with dielectric grease and reconnecting. I did this while waiting for delivery of the wiring harnesses and haven't had an issue for several months. For now, I have 6 cables sitting in the cellar, lol.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Per 2013 Chevrolet Impala Owner Manual-

Power Steering Pump Reservoir location: Item #D on page 10-5.

Power Steering System: GM Power Steering Fluid (GM Part No. 89021184, in Canada 89021186) on page 11-12.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts