Impala Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to this site, so this might not be the right forum, if not please move to the correct location... Thanks!

Little back story first. My grandpa bought this 1968 Impala brand new from my best friends dads dealship in oct 1967. He died in April 68. My grandmother drove it to church, doctor, and grocery store there after for the next 35 years. My entire childhood I remember playing in the front seat of this big old beauty, and always telling my grandma when I was 16 I was buying it and painting it cherry apple red. Well when I was 14 she got sick and they sold it to a man from Atlanta. 14 years later, I found the car 2 hours even further south (Macon) in what I think (non-car experts) in good condition still to be a '68. In the dash was the original paper work, metal plate with my granddads information, the stamped vin book, and even my dads old 45 day temperary DL from 75. Anyway, I was living high. I finally found the car of my dreams and it actually ran... And then I got it home...

Within about a week the front brakes locked up. No problem there, called my mechanic friend who works on old cars and took it to him. ANyways I literally just left there about an hour ago and I really am stunned at the price. We are converting it to disk brakes and replaceing some of the gaskets underneath, as well as putting in a new radiator. Like I said I am new to this, so for what there doing does $1750 sound like I am getting ripped for the brakes, radiator, and labor???

Also, I know I probably over paid for the car but what do you think about me paying $3750 for it. Like I said to my wife. I dont care if I ever spend a penny on it and it sits in my garage. It is my car that I have always wanted and I am getting it. Ill attach some photos of her. Let me know what you guys think!

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
are you going all 4 wheels or just front wheels to disc? The parts for just the front run anywhere from 600 to 800 plus dollars, depends on kit and options. you are paying for his time to remove the old stuff and put on the new, add radiator and some other repairs for 1750, sound reasonable and 3750 not a bad price. Check for rust and rot and we need PICS.

Also welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
10,791 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Sounds about right to me, being an old car doesnt mean parts will be cheap. It will most often mean the opposite. I wouldnt expect a 68 impala to be road worthy without some time money and work thrown at it. Take your time and the car will soon be what you remember it to be when you're a kid. A car hobby is probably one of the most expensive hobbies to have in my opinion, you just have to expect the unexpected and take it for what it is.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Great story, get pics up! You also need to factor in the family and sentimental value as well. I'm sure you did fine :)

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
Im new to this site, so this might not be the right forum, if not please move to the correct location... Thanks!

Little back story first. My grandpa bought this 1968 Impala brand new from my best friends dads dealship in oct 1967. He died in April 68. My grandmother drove it to church, doctor, and grocery store there after for the next 35 years. My entire childhood I remember playing in the front seat of this big old beauty, and always telling my grandma when I was 16 I was buying it and painting it cherry apple red. Well when I was 14 she got sick and they sold it to a man from Atlanta. 14 years later, I found the car 2 hours even further south (Macon) in what I think (non-car experts) in good condition still to be a '68. In the dash was the original paper work, metal plate with my granddads information, the stamped vin book, and even my dads old 45 day temperary DL from 75. Anyway, I was living high. I finally found the car of my dreams and it actually ran... And then I got it home...

Within about a week the front brakes locked up. No problem there, called my mechanic friend who works on old cars and took it to him. ANyways I literally just left there about an hour ago and I really am stunned at the price. We are converting it to disk brakes and replaceing some of the gaskets underneath, as well as putting in a new radiator. Like I said I am new to this, so for what there doing does $1750 sound like I am getting ripped for the brakes, radiator, and labor???

Also, I know I probably over paid for the car but what do you think about me paying $3750 for it. Like I said to my wife. I dont care if I ever spend a penny on it and it sits in my garage. It is my car that I have always wanted and I am getting it. Ill attach some photos of her. Let me know what you guys think!
There is no way "you" can put a price on this car.
It's worth whatever it means for you to have.
Enjoy it !
Drive it !
A great story !

P

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
My car my grandparents bought in 1999 from a local auction. Them and one other guy was interested in the car. Poor girl was in bad shape outside for it needed a new vinyl top, new paint, radiator and a very good cleaning. It was bought by either an older retired lady and/or her husband (been trying to dig up more information but the state's records don't go back that far). When my grandparents found the car it had only 17,4?? miles on the clock with the original FR-15 factory tires on it. The other guy whom wanted the car only wanted the engine out of it to put in a truck he had and he thought it had 174K miles on it.

My grandparents gave it a quick paint job, new vinyl roof, radiator and some small stuff and drove it just over 7K miles before I bought it from them in January 2003. I offered and paid $2,200 for it. Though my mother thought I was crazy for doing so until she saw the car in person and realized that it was in very good shape for a 26 year old car at that time.

I hope you enjoy this car that you have been after and are able to get it up to what you want out of it. As long as you cherish and enjoy the car it is worth what you want to invest into it. I would recommend getting it appraised and then insured just in case something happens to it.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Man sentimental cars are worth more than you will ever pay. I wish I still had my grandpas truck. I have kicked myself almost every day since I sold it 12 years ago and then saw it in the scrap yard all torn up a few months later. We want pics. The prices sound pretty good for what you are getting in parts and the time it is gonna take to do all of the work. Oh and we want pics. So enjoy your new ride. Drive it often and put up lots of pics or we will have to send Tony to your house so he can take some pics and eat all of your food.

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
^^^^^ If Tony asks to go for a drive ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Dont go with him to a corn field, or anywhere near one !

Dont ask, just dont go

·
Still Plays with Cars
282 Posts
Finding and buying your Grandpa's old car is priceless. The repair isn't to bad but your mechanic buddy has to make a living too.

·
Super Moderator
10,791 Posts
Glad you got the car , it's priceless for sure.
My 83 was was my fathers car , I'll never sell it , when I go down it will stay in the family :eek:k3:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
My 78 was my grandpas car, I refuse to get rid of it, but that reason doesn't even rank top 10 anymore.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
You didn't get hosed at all. :eek:k3: Something like that you keep forever. When my grandpa passed away my grandma gave me his truck, I was 12. I didn't have the means to get it home at the time. She got hard up for money, so my dad offered to pay her for it. She sold it and didn't tell me. I've tried for the past 7 years to track it down with no luck. Don't ever let it slip away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts