Impala Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
Damn that was a long, expensive project most people can't replicate themselves. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Proof Again

I have seen othe FWD's turned into RWD. There are several ways of doing it and no one way it right. What amazing me most is when I hear people saying it cannot be done. Either they haven't seen it before or they don't have the skills, yet they insist it cannot be done. Anyway, nice post and nice project. Anything can be done if your willing to do it and find ways around obsticles.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
I have seen othe FWD's turned into RWD. There are several ways of doing it and no one way it right. What amazing me most is when I hear people saying it cannot be done. Either they haven't seen it before or they don't have the skills, yet they insist it cannot be done. Anyway, nice post and nice project. Anything can be done if your willing to do it and find ways around obsticles.

Jeff
Agree, but a year of hard work, plus the donor car, plus 13++K is simply not possible for most people...and the car is not done yet....at the 13K mark..... See below except for those not wanting to hit the link. LOL

"It has taken me a year to get to this point with a lot of hard work, endless
research and reading, This may be far from being a pro job but I don’t think its too shabby considering 4 years ago when I bought my first grand prix I could not even change the brakes.
I welcome and would like comments/help/constructive criticism etc so let me know!!!

For those that are interested
-----------------------------------------------------------
Parts Lists and Prices
-----------------------------------------------------------
Ford Axle Housing: $200
Girdle: $150
Axles: 240
Chassis: $2000
Motor: $750
Heads: $1000 (included ISII Cam FOR SALE)
Gears+Install kit: $250
PCM/Alternator+misc: 120
AFC 2.0: $100
LS1m: 200
North Star TB: 100
Towe from Ohio: $200
Control Arms: $300
Rear End Ford bolts: $75
Track Loc Rebuild Kit: $50
4l60E rebuld book: $17
Steel: $100
Rear Brakes: $160
Bushings+C clips: $20
Intercooler+Camaro UIM and LIM: $400
Wheels: $400
Spings: $22
Cobra Pinion cross pin (diff): $60
More steel: $200
Shocks: $60
Pump/Fuel Cell/Lines: $700
Tires: $400
Misc Parts: $272
Wheel Spacers: $220
Coil over parts: $175
Motor Parts/Timing chain/Bolts/gaskets: $400
Tubing: $50
Pistons: $900
HG, Valve seals, valves etc: $375
HP Tuners: $500
Motor and Head Work: $1100 (Had to rebuild the ISII heads with Low miles [:mad:])
Lots of mony on misc tools/blades/oils/etc etc
Total to date (not done yet)
$12996.73
Updates coming, I am hoping to have this monster running by summers end."

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
99.9% of the population couldnt do it and dont have the money to do it.

So when they come here asking what it takes and how hard it is to do
If you cant figure out how hard it is by yourself then its impossible for you to accomplish

·
Registered
285 Posts
expensive

I don't dissagree with some of your guys points about cost. It is something I have been complaining about my whole life. You see these car magazines that are for the so called average guy building their ride. They show these cars that the average guy could buy/build, yet most of the time they have 10K plus into the motor to start. Unfortunately stuff cost money. No way around that, and if you start to add up what you have really spent on your rides, you might be suprised. I have over 12K in my 67 Lemans convertible project. But that includes the purchase of 6K. Time wise is another thing. It takes time. Most people take more than 2 years to build something and most of them are much longer depending on what your doing and your budget. I personally would not do this project because of the car itself, not the cost. I wouldn't do it with any of the new impalas either. One last point. He said he had no prior skills when he started this project. Unless he is telling a lie, that means it's possible to learn as you go, which I know is possible, so anyone can do most things, it just takes time, patience, lot's of research, and the willingness to do all that.

jeff

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
why go through the trouble and leave it an auto? wtf!!!

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I never said it couldn't be done, just that it wasn't practical or realistic...

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Cant be done

King, I hope you weren't thinking I was speaking of you or anyone else in particular. I try not to do that. It was a general statement. Just like I try to not directly criticize others comments and opinions. Everyone has different opinions about everything. Also advice on the cars. Some works for some, sometimes people are mistaken, however most people do so with good intent. We can all put in and learn from each other without all that BS. It really don't matter in the end anyway.

jeff

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can bolt up a couple different transmissions to that motor so idk why he wouldn't have went manual.

But then again where does it stop?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Well, at least we can just point people here now when they come in with the grand original idea of making their car rwd...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts