Impala Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my Rosen head-unit (GM1010) boots so quickly that there is no configurable "loading screen" for the radio aspect, but when you switch over to the navigation function, there *is* a loading screen there, which is only visible if you switch over to Navigation before it's done loading (which I normally do - I usually switch over to navigation right after I start the car - even if I don't have a "route" defined.).

Anyway, since the navigation app can take a minute or two to load up after the radio powers on, I want to have a nice loading screen there.

Here is my current screen (which displays text status info in the bottom right-hand corner as it boots):

However, I want to spruce this up a little. With my limited artistic abilities, I have come up with the following two so far. Wanted to get input on what you guys think and would also be interested in anything else you guys can come up with!

This is the one I'm liking so far:

But I like this version too:

Instead of displaying loading status text like my original, these ones just show a "progress bar" that fills up the gray bar as it loads on these ones....

Thoughts? Other ideas? These screens are 800x480 resolution, but the way.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
I don't like the older Impala script on an 8th gen or newer - even on the NAV screen.....thats just me.....

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I can understand that. Although, with my Impala, I have the 7th gen style font on the doors and now the "rear bumper valance", so that's why I went with the 7th gen style. In fact, all of the Impala text on my car is 7th gen style - no more 8th gen style anywhere! :)

I just like the 7th gen style so much better - 8th gen style is just so "boring", in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way, I've never been able to find a good 8th-gen Windows font. I've found some that are somewhat similar, but nothing that is close enough to truly satisfy me.

I'd like to have it in order to design a loading screen for others (like I said, the 7th gen font is the font of choice for me).

I will most likely have another fully-functional, excellent condition GM1010 for sale shortly for a great price and would like to give it a cool GPS loading screen before I sell it (along with all of the other "goodies" I put on them!).

·
Go Get It
15,055 Posts
I like the first one better

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
Did I miss the final product on your rear valence?

And I do agree that your font needs to be consistent throughout.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I had it done about a week or so ago. HOWEVER, I'm not happy with it - getting it redone again with some changes (changes I'm getting done are in teh last post is the thread below).

Here is a link to the post of the few pictures I've taken:

http://www.impalaforums.com/showthread.php?p=2781857

Like I said, if you go to the last post in that thread, you'll see what I want changed... Should make it look MUCH better after the changes.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FYI - I was able to come up with an 8th gen version... Not perfect, but better if you want the 8th gen font...

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@TSS - let me know if you are interested in this new loading screen - very easy to install. ALso, I have an improved "data.zip' file as well, which fixes a few bugs I found in the original (the "data.zip" file contains a lot of graphics and code for the iGo GPS system). Again, easy to install - just copy a file to the SD card.

Also - don't hesitate to let me know if you'd like anything else changed with the GPS software (zoom levels, etc). I never use 2D mode, so I'm not sure how the zoom levels are, but I can customized how far it zooms out, etc (as well as just about ANYTHING else in the software!).

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
I will check with Mitch ...... last Friday he asked if he could take my car to school, so I let him and drove the Impala. I was really impressed with the navigation. Arguably better than my Factory nav in the Lincoln...... which I really don't have any complaints over. My previous Factory General Motors factory units, I seemed to have several complaints.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I *really* like the iGo GPS software - it really is an extremely functional application. The more you use it and get familiar with it, the more you'll like it too. I've read from multiple sources that it's way better than the factory GM nav that comes on other radios that would fit in the Impala. And like I said, the level of customization (beyond what you see in the menus) is simply amazing - you wouldn't believe how many options there are in the sys.txt file...

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Here are a few more loading screens...

These first 2 were created by @Tesla for his GM1210 head-unit. One is for the radio loading screen (can customize on the GM1210, unlike the GM10100) and one is for the GPS loading screen:

Radio Loading Screen:

GPS Loading Screen:

And here is another GPS Loading screen that I had created:

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What car/radio do you have? Also, which screen do you want?

Sent from my TbooK 16 Pro(E5C8) using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually, they should be posted "full size" - so you should be able to just right-click them and click "Save as...". If you have any issues with that, let me know and I'll PM it to you.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FYI - for detailed instructions on how to change the GPS loading screen on the Rosen GM1010, please see this post in the GPS Customization thread:

[ame]http://www.impalaforums.com/showthread.php?p=2886897[/ame]

These instructions are specifically for the GM1010, but if you have a GM1210, the process is basically the same - the only difference is that since the GPS files are stored internally on the GM1210 (instead of on a removable SD card like the GM1010), you have to follow a procedure that I've come up with to get to the internal GPS files on the GM1210.

Here is a link to a file that contains everything you need in order to access the internal GPS files on the GM1210:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx1imK6LGFN9Q041ek43WjdkVHM/view?usp=drivesdk

This contains the instructions on how to do it as well as any other files you need. This allows you to modify *any* aspect of the GPS application (you could even completely *replace* the iGo Primo GPS application with some other WinCE-based GPS application if you wanted to!). This something that Rosen tells you can't be done (being able to modify the internal GPS application) - but it can definitely be done. :) See the above GPS Customization thread for some more things you can modify in the GPS application (custom GPS icons, install custom skins, customize TTS phrases, etc).

Don't be scared by how "involved" the procedures in the GPS Customization thread looks - they are really not hard to do at all - I just tend to be VERY detailed when documenting things - just to make sure that I cover everything.

And of course - don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts