Impala Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'08 Impala LS, bone stock (actually company car)

like the car so far, with the exception of one issue. When I brake from speed, the steering wheel shakes - a LOT. the odd thing is if I brake harder, the shake goes away, it only does it when I just ride the brakes a little, as if someone cut in front of me on the freeway and I want to back off a little bit (yeah, like that ever happens near DC.) The steering wheel moves a good inch or so if I take my hands off the wheel. Feels like warped rotors, right? Well I just had the car serviced and while they were changing the oil I had them balance and rotate the tires and cut the rotors. guess what - IT'S STILL THERE! If I'm braking at very slow speed, I can feel it then, too - the steering wheel doesn't shake, but I can feel the car jerk a little in time with the front wheels turning, like I'm pressing harder and lighter on the brake pedal (except I'm not.) Any ideas, other than just take it back and say "fix?"

I've only put a couple thousand miles on the car, I inherited it from another employee and it sat for a couple months in between. So I just assumed that the rotors were munged up from getting rusty while sitting but that does not seem to be the case. I don't think I drive it hard enough that I'm warping the rotors myself, and in any case, it did it the first time I had to stop from high speed after I picked it up from being serviced.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Follow up:

I finally got a chance to take the car back today, and the mechanic went for a ride with me and didn't even get the car up to speed, he just got up to maybe 30 MPH and rode the brakes a little, felt a slight pulsing, said "mmm-hmmm," and turned around and went back to the garage. This time they turned the REAR rotors. He said that Impalas were susceptible to rotor warpage, he had one himself and had had the same problem. I'm still trying to figure out how a warped rear rotor(s) could cause the steering wheel to shake but he claimed that you have to turn all four. (I guess this was a different guy than worked on the car last time.) I picked the car up this PM and at although I've only driven it home from work so far I'm giving it a thumbs up.

Now I have another question, how does the parking brake work on the newer Impalas, is that a little drum brake inside the rotor hat like a corvette or my old 944, or does the cable just pull the caliper shut like an old VW with rear discs? I'm wondering if setting the parking brake causes rear rotor warpage if the latter, in which case I will be more careful in the future about braking hard when I know I'm going to park soon (I can't avoid using the parking brake, my driveway slopes quite a bit.)

·
Registered
657 Posts
i cant say for certain on the 8th gen, but on the 7th gen, the parking brake is a drum in hat setup on the rear rotors. i would assume it would be similar on the 8th gen, but i have no first hand experience with them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
To machine fronts only or all four is quite common. Often the warping is only on the front, but sometimes its on all four. Although it takes a little more time a good mechanic will do fronts first & rears only after a test drive to keep the cost down. The head mechanic at my work can often tell if its just fronts or not on a test drive before any work is done.

The pother thing to remember is that the metal in the disc disipates heat & excessive heat (or rapid cooling) is what warps discs. As the disc wears & it is machined to make it run true, there is less metal to do this job. What results is discs that warp faster each time they are machined.
For a daily this has to come down to ecconomics of machining verses replacement, for something that is a toy, or gets a hard time, machine the first time, then replace, for good braking.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had warpage on the front on my 08 Impala... I replaced with a set of EBC slotted and dimpled rotors and have had great results so far... the new rotors brake smooth as can be.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had warpage on the front on my 08 Impala... I replaced with a set of EBC slotted and dimpled rotors and have had great results so far... the new rotors brake smooth as can be.
Can you use those on a LS? I was looking at those somewhere online, I think for two it was like $250!
Also, is it possible to swamp out my LS suspension with SS suspension? Or can anyone recommend a nice shock because I think mine are getting warn out.

(I have a 06 LS 3.5 btw)

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have an 07 SS that had frequent brake problems. They resurfaced the rotors twice and wanted to resurface them the third time for $300. I ordered a set of slotted EBC Brakes for all 4. The front rotor started shaking. They installed new front rotors but said they couldn't "zero" out the right wheel runout. After talking to EBC brakes they said they should have used an on-car brake lathe (only a few auto places have it overall). Well I left the stock rotors on there for now to make sure there isn't another problem that GM wouldn't cover due to aftermarket brakes but I plan on getting the brake lathe done and install the EBC brakes on the front again. EBC was nice enough to send me a new set of front rotors.

Braking performance with the EBC brakes was great until the runout caused them to pulsate. Wet brake performance definitely improved over OEM.

As far as using them on an LS, I'm sure they have a part number for it. EBC has different pads though so make sure you get the right one. I got "redstuff" pads since the SS has over 300 hp. I don't know if I can post where I got them from on here so just PM me if you are interested and I'll tell you where I got them. I'm not sure if it is supporting vendor or not.

·
Registered
142 Posts
my 2008 impala ss has a braking problem from high speed,pulsate and shaking... only have 20,000 miles and has done this from new... pads are still at 80%, so waiting till more wore down to replace.. i think i will have to go with ebc ? like sscastang/phileaglesfan... rkvette

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
follow up - I know, pretty late - I took it back and here they'd only cut the front rotors. They cut the rears and it feels much better. I feel like I can still feel a hint of rotor runout but nowhere near as bad as it was. Maybe the PO of the car abused it a little, or the brakes are just a little marginal?

nate

·
Registered
86 Posts
Can you use those on a LS? I was looking at those somewhere online, I think for two it was like $250!
Also, is it possible to swamp out my LS suspension with SS suspension? Or can anyone recommend a nice shock because I think mine are getting warn out.

(I have a 06 LS 3.5 btw)
the LS, LT and SS all have the same rotors/calipers/pads.... so yes, they can be used... I checked this because I was planning on upgrading to SS brakes if they were bigger.

it has been several months since I installed my EBC brakes and I still love them... they still stop smooth as can be and no excessive noise.

as far as the price... yes, I paid about $250 for the front pair from Summit Racing, but overall, not having to touch them since has been well worth it...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Remember, everytime you resurface the rotors their ability to get rid of heat goes down because there is less material. EBC brakes are great, was around $500 for a set of 4 with pads.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have an 07 SS that had frequent brake problems. They resurfaced the rotors twice and wanted to resurface them the third time for $300.
I have had 3 Impalas and they all had poor rotor quality and warped between 30k -40k miles.
I wouldn't bother turning a warped rotor -they will most likely do the same thing only more quickly.
OEM style replacements, NAPA for example, have lasted longer for me, but if you don't want to deal with it, you have to upgrade to a good aftermarket rotor.. it seems that with rotors, you get what you pay for.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts