Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Impala LS with about 150,000 miles on it. Over the past year I have had to change the MAF sensor twice. First time it seemed to be going out forever without throwing a code before it finally did and I replaced it. Second time it was about 3 months later and a couple of days before you could smell almost a burning smell under the hood but I couldn't pinpoint it. I had to get it towed that time because it would run but the it would miss like crazy again. Also wasn't fun trying to make it limp at about 25 mph (at full throttle) down a 55mph road that really didn't have anywhere to pull over at (luckily it was about 9pm and traffic was light). I am afraid it is going again because today I started smelling that smell again.

My question is what could be making it burn through MAF sensors like that?

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Are you losing coolant or oil?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you losing coolant or oil?
Might loose about a half a quart (or less) between oil changes (3,000 to 4,000 miles). Was losing coolant between the first and second MAF sensors going bad. Had a heater bypass elbow go bad and replaced both so it is no longer leaking coolant at all.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Check your oil and coolant for change in color. If you notice any sort of weird color, take a pic and post it here. These engines are common for LIM gasket failure and will cause an oil or coolant loss/mixing of fluids in the LIM. A badly leaking LIM gasket could potentially cause the oil/coolant to seep upwards into the upper intake manifold and get the MAF dirty therefor cause incorrect readings.

Also, what shape is your air filter in? Do you notice any rough idling or a whistle noise coming from the intake? You may have a vacuum/throttle body/intake leak causing dirt to get into the MAF.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check your oil and coolant for change in color. If you notice any sort of weird color, take a pic and post it here. These engines are common for LIM gasket failure and will cause an oil or coolant loss/mixing of fluids in the LIM. A badly leaking LIM gasket could potentially cause the oil/coolant to seep upwards into the upper intake manifold and get the MAF dirty therefor cause incorrect readings.

Also, what shape is your air filter in? Do you notice any rough idling or a whistle noise coming from the intake? You may have a vacuum/throttle body/intake leak causing dirt to get into the MAF.
Thanks for the quick replies....

Haven't noticed any change of color in the oil or the coolant but will check again later today when I get a chance. Idle is fine and no whistling noise or anything to indicate a vacuum leak or anything. Will also double check the air filter (if that is it I will kick myself but if I remember correctly I checked it a month or so ago and it looked fine). Also will be doing a little bit of driving today so I should be able to confirm the smell or not (hopefully I thought I smelt something that was nothing.) It is always possible that I got a lemon MAF for the first one I replaced but if it does end up going again then it will have to be something causing it.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ The smell could be something very minor such as a small oil or power steering leak. Just please keep an eye on oil and coolant level as well as the colors of each. Also keep an eye on your temp gauge to make sure your thermostat is opening and operating correctly. Check your power steering fluid level and color every couple months as well. The best maint is keeping an eye on fluids, noises of vehicle, and monitoring gauges.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^ The smell could be something very minor such as a small oil or power steering leak. Just please keep an eye on oil and coolant level as well as the colors of each. Also keep an eye on your temp gauge to make sure your thermostat is opening and operating correctly. Check your power steering fluid level and color every couple months as well. The best maint is keeping an eye on fluids, noises of vehicle, and monitoring gauges.
Yeah I always try to keep an eye on fluids and everything and always pay attention to the gauges. Also noise is one of the first things that gets me and one of the first signs that the MAF was going bad the first time. Started with almost a whining noise and then it would just jump from time to time when taking off. Never threw any codes or anything. Took it to a mechanic who has done work for my family for years (very good work at very good prices) and he couldn't figure it out. Also had my wife's uncle who works for the state as a mechanic and he couldn't figure it out. When it was jumping taking off I was thinking tranny (that is my wife's uncles speciality and he said it wasn't so that was a relief) but since I changed the MAF sensor the first time it hasn't done it since (same thing with the whining noise). Just hope I am being paranoid about it maybe being the MAF again. Gotta love all the electronics in today's vehicle, always keeping you on your toes. lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts