Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a coupon from GM on Trans Fluid Service, but the description makes me wonder just how much "service" this actually includes.

Their description reads, "Dissolves varnish in the transmission valve body, torque converter, pan filter, cooler and cooler line. Helps maintain proper shifting and prolong the life of your transmission. Check transmission/transaxle operation."

Upon a second careful reading, this sounds a lot like they are just describing a fluid change with a flush. Surely there must be more to it for $150. At first I thought this was describing an actual full service of the tranny, like dropping the pan and changing the filter. However, they only mention all those parts in conjunction with "Dissolves varnish". Which has my suspicions up. Is this just a shell game where they make it sound more impressive than what it actually is to fool well read, but mechanically ignorant, folks like myself? I mean, I can buy the ramps, creeper, floor mat, and fluids and change both my trans fluid and oil myself for the price they want here. And those things aren't even that tough, even for a non-mechanic like me.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
GM only recommends fresh Dexron IV transmission fluid in the changes - anything else is considered a contaminant.

Many dealerships have an arrangement with BG services, which includes a fluid flush machine, which uses a “cleaner” and new fluid.

Read your vehicle owner’s manual - GM does not recommend this and only recommends a fluid change (and filter change, when it is accessible without removing the transmission).

Dealers make a lot of money from the fluid flushes - thus the coupons. Not much service, oil change tech uses the machine to exchange the fluid and run cleaner through - which can contaminate the transmission fluid.

If you are still interested - contact the service department and ask them what the service actually entails - and if it is part of GM’s recommendation for maintenance (the flush chemicals - not a fluid change).

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bought my 2014 Chevy Impala 2.5L Eco 4-CYL for use with ridesharing back in 2016. I recently stopped ridesharing (more wear & tear on my car than what I was getting paid for now versus 3 years ago) to go onto something less strenuous for my car (& my sanity). So I got out of ridesharing while my Impala was still in decent condition in body and "spirit", so to speak.

Anyway, enough intro. Unless my car was under a manufacturer warranty did I ever take my Impala to an actual GM dealership for service, I have used a local shop for service and fluid changes. I use full synthetic oil for every 5000 miles and up until recently I changed my transmission fluid every 50,000 miles. My next one is going to be at 30,000 upon the recommendation of my "Mom & Pop" mechanic because my car is approaching 160K and it would be more beneficial for me financially to change my transmission fluid more frequently than not. It might even help my car shift a little smoother. I heard that my V-tek transmission with the auto-clutch is about a $4K(?) to replace if not taken care of, I think.

My mechanic also does not believe in a lot of "extras" that dealer garages introduce to the consumer above and beyond what cars absolutely need to be properly maintained because they do not have the resources or time to do frivolous "maintenance work" like that...

Cheers!

《♤》Sawywaya / Spirit Wolfe 《♤》

____
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
[ PLEASE consider giving KIN... ]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts