Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the GM Strut Tower Braces along with Don Rome brackets on the front and back of my Impala and now my Impala corners perfectly. I had my struts changed for Monroe Quickstruts and now the car runs perfectly. I had to grind two of the brackets so that they would fit around the strut towers perfectly, but thankfully they were tapped well.

Quickstruts + GM Strut Tower Braces + Don Rome Brackets = Great Car!

·
Registered
8 Posts
strut brace

Can you upload a picture of youre brace I want to get one for mine but I havent yet. How much did it cost you and you say it cuts down on the roll because my impala you just cant take any corners with it.

·
Four-Seasons Fan!
383 Posts
Would these work on my '08 LTZ, since it has the Sport/FE3 suspension??
(sorry if it's a dumb question!!)

I'm waitin' for you pic(s) too!

Faron

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts

Faron
Yes they will help

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is a picture of the finished product. You also have to cut off two small bolts (and grind them down so the brackets fit flat) that are mounted into the strut tower to secure the cables. Just cable tie the cables to the strut tower brace bar. I highly recommend this modification! :eek:k3:

Front Bar Installed:

Rear Brackets:

Front Brackets:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Faron
It should work on your LTZ, since my car is an 06 LTZ. I think the bar has to be modified if you have a V8 engine, because the alternator is too big, but for our V6 cars, it fits perfectly. GM part number is 12498648. It costs about $45 from the dealer and comes in a two pack. The brackets cost $85 from Don Rome and my need additional grinding to fit perfectly, but it is worth the money for the ride quality. :eek:k3:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is one more picture that shows how the bar and brackets fit together.

·
Four-Seasons Fan!
383 Posts
Dave_N,
You Sir-
KICK BUTT!
Excellent pics.

Where do you typically have to grind the front brackets?
Any grinding needed for the rears?

Faron:duckie:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Dave_N,
You Sir-
KICK BUTT!
Excellent pics.

Where do you typically have to grind the front brackets?
Any grinding needed for the rears?

Faron:duckie:
You don't grind the brackets.

The wiring harness retaining studs on the strut tower need to be removed and filed or ground flush. I broke them off almost flush with vise grips. Then I taped the top of the tower with 2 layers of blue masking tape and carefully took em the rest of the way down with a Flat Bastard Cut File.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You don't grind the brackets.
You aren't supposed to have to grind the brackets, but I had to grind down one of my front brackets and one of my rear brackets to get them to fit flush on the strut tower. The important thing is that the brackets were perfectly threaded for the bolts. I used a reciprocating saw to cut off the bolts, then grinded the nubs down. It takes time and the right tools to do a proper job, but it's definitely worth it. :eek:k3:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm new to the forums, just wanted to say this thread is what I was looking for! I didn't want to drill into my strut towers.....brackets are on the way :eek:k3:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm new to the forums, just wanted to say this thread is what I was looking for! I didn't want to drill into my strut towers.....brackets are on the way :eek:k3:
The brackets really make the job easier. You may have to grind the brackets a little to get them to fit flush with the strut tower. Make sure they fit flat so that the strut bars will fit perfectly. :eek:k3:

·
Registered
7 Posts
The brackets really make the job easier. You may have to grind the brackets a little to get them to fit flush with the strut tower. Make sure they fit flat so that the strut bars will fit perfectly. :eek:k3:
Just got the STB's installed tonight, only had to grind 1 bracket a tiny bit! Nice and tight cornering :eek:k3:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just got the STB's installed tonight, only had to grind 1 bracket a tiny bit! Nice and tight cornering :eek:k3:
Nice. I like taking corners at higher speeds now, since the car doesn't wobble much anymore. :eek:k3:

Reactions: dtjunior68

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey I would really appreciate a part number on these bars. The ones I found on summitracing and jegs says its for the 7th generation. will they fit the 06-13?

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
Need to get a front one at some point...it's on the to do list. Odd they don't have one since my 03 did, but I guess it's not a huge deal. The rear one made a big difference already, so the front will be a nice addition.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
GM sells the front and rear bars as a two-pack and I think it was only around $40. Grab a pair of Don Rome's brackets for easy installation on the strut bolts, as opposed to drilling into your strut towers. Damn photobucket messed up all my pictures.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts