Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AP said:
WASHINGTON — General Motors Corp. is recalling 1.5 million vehicles because of potential engine fires.

GM says there have been no reports of any fires or injuries.

Some of the recalled vehicles are no longer in production. The recall includes the 1998-1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue, the 1997-2003 Pontiac Grand Prix, 1997-2003 Buick Regal, and the 1998-2003 Chevrolet Lumina, Monte Carlo and Impala.

It involves vehicles with a 3.8-liter V6 engine. The government says drops of oil could fall into the exhaust system and cause a fire in the engine.

GM spokesman Kerry Christopher says it was a precautionary measure for consumers.
Thought I'd like to share this with you guys.

·
Registered
557 Posts
This has to be the dumbest recall out there. what 6-12 year old car doesn't have an oil leak? And chances are the leak is cause of the Intake that people aren't taking care of when they're told about it. But everyone seems to think its coming from the valve cover gaskets. And its all W-body cars too, the H-body cars are excluded, even though they have the same engine.

·
Registered
187 Posts
when i saw this last night i was like what the hell, like you said what 6-12 year old car doesn't have an oil leak? any car with an oil leak can somehow seak its way to the exhaust manifold...

I blew my 95 cherokees VCG and oil poured onto the down pipe and smoked to hell... never ignited. huh odd... and it only had 69K on the clock can they tell chrysler to recall them too?

·
Registered
557 Posts
I was reading some comments on other sites about the recall, and there are so many people that are terrified to drive their cars now. Which is retarded, I think if they never had a problem with it yet, they're not going to have a problem.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just think if the car has been sitting over decent lengths of time like months or even years, then you might have that oil problem since thats EVERY car. I mean mines only the 3.4 and its got really low miles and even if i had the 3.8 i'd still drive it, if it caught fire whatever i'd get over it and it would probably be covered by insurance ha

·
Registered
557 Posts
Before I got my SS, I had a base model with a 3.4L and that thing had NO leaks. And I bought it when it had 20K and I got rear ended when it had 80K, but I never replaced any of the gaskets.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Recall on CNN

(CNN) -- The possibility of engine fires has prompted General Motors to recall nearly 1.5 million passenger sedans manufactured between 1997 and 2003, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration announced Monday.
The recall involves certain GM vehicles in which oil apparently can leak and ignite.

The recall involves certain GM vehicles in which oil apparently can leak and ignite.

The recall covers certain mid- and full-size passenger sedans under GM's Chevrolet, Buick, Oldsmobile and Pontiac brands.

The affected vehicles have naturally aspirated 3.8 liter V6 engines -- that is, engines that use atmospheric pressure rather than a mechanical blower to bring in air for combustion -- according to documents that GM filed with federal regulators last week.

On Friday, the federal government acknowledged the filing and agreed to the plan.

The problem involves a potential for oil to leak on the exhaust manifold during hard braking. When a car operates under normal conditions, the manifold can get very hot.

Oil that runs below the manifold's heat shield could ignite and spread to plastic channels that hold spark plug wires.

As a solution, the company recommends a change in the bracket that holds spark plug wires, which will be done free of charge.

Owners and dealers affected by the recall will be notified by letter next month with details.
Don't Miss

* Feds speed up purchase of fuel-efficient cars
* Welch 'would bet on' U.S. auto comeback
* GM's new chief thinks he can steer company to health

The vehicles involved are:
• 1997-2003 Buick Regals.
• 1998-2003 Chevrolet Luminas, Monte Carlos and Impalas.
• 1998-1999 Oldsmobile Intrigues.
• 1997-2003 Pontiac Grand Prix.

GM issued a recall on a similar engine in 2008, according to the company's filing with the government. That problem was traced to a faulty gasket on the engine rocker cover.

I called the dealer this morning with my son's 1998 Monte Carlo Z34. It is under recall. By the recall it sounds like it is the valve cover gaskets. It saves me from having to do it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
557 Posts
yeah, they're replacing valve cover gaskets and the spark plug retainer clips. Its going to be a total waste of money for GM, and its not a waste they can afford.

·
Banned
351 Posts
I think that they are playing thing son the safe side given their recent troubles... the last thing they need right now is a lawsuit or bad publicity about cars catching on fire.

Although if you ask me... this recall is bad publicity in itself. All Im saying is that I see where they were coming from on this one, even though it sounds pretty damn stupid.

·
Registered
187 Posts
You know what i don't get, the fact that the 3.4 litre is known for the intake manifold gasket for leaking, and possibly ruining an engine, yet they haven't recalled that even though its caused so many people headaches...

·
Registered
557 Posts
You know what i don't get, the fact that the 3.4 litre is known for the intake manifold gasket for leaking, and possibly ruining an engine, yet they haven't recalled that even though its caused so many people headaches...
same thing goes for the 3.8L's with the plastic intakes that would cause engines to lock up if Coolant when into the cylinders.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Free?!

As a solution, the company recommends a change in the bracket that holds spark plug wires, which will be done free of charge.
:
Free bracket, sweet, i wonder if we can all con them into free spark plug wires and spark plugs too! my 3.8 NA runs strong with just over 61k miles. no problems here.

·
Registered
416 Posts
We are already starting to see people pour in here at work over this recall. Its amazing what happens when the AP gets ahold of something like this. If GM would have just sent out the letters like they usually do then everybody would just get done when they have time and not be in panic mode.

·
Banned
91 Posts
I love how they choose to send out a recall over this, but they think that gauges that don't work properly is no big deal? they need to issue recalls for things that people actually need to work everyday, obviously this was not a big deal to many people. Gauges to me are a bigger deal, especially since i dont $400 to fix them myself and its not my fault that they dont work in the first place. Stupid GM

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Yeah, but there's no liability in bad gauges. Not that there really is with this either, since oil NEVER catches fire in an engine compartment. What they should be recalling is the problem with the front ABS sensors, that IS dangerous.

·
Banned
91 Posts
Yeah, but there's no liability in bad gauges. Not that there really is with this either, since oil NEVER catches fire in an engine compartment. What they should be recalling is the problem with the front ABS sensors, that IS dangerous.
But it never fails they never recall what they SHOULD recall instead they find stupid little things that end up costing more then what the serious and dangerous ones would cost. I know if it were me, I would do something about the gauges and ABS, not having a properly working speedometer to me is dangerous, but thats just my .02.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love how they choose to send out a recall over this, but they think that gauges that don't work properly is no big deal? they need to issue recalls for things that people actually need to work everyday, obviously this was not a big deal to many people. Gauges to me are a bigger deal, especially since i dont $400 to fix them myself and its not my fault that they dont work in the first place. Stupid GM
Some of GMs vehicle have a special policy on the guages messing up, It may just be truck though, which i agree is dumb.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Some of GMs vehicle have a special policy on the guages messing up, It may just be truck though, which i agree is dumb.
The special policies are more for the tahoe's and suburban's but alot of times they will cover them for other vehicles because i had to have the cluster replaced on my Envoy and they went ahead and good willed it and had it done under warranty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We are already starting to see people pour in here at work over this recall. Its amazing what happens when the AP gets ahold of something like this. If GM would have just sent out the letters like they usually do then everybody would just get done when they have time and not be in panic mode.
i got one of those letters and even posted it up in my thread:
http://www.impalaforums.com/chevy-i...ll-letter-recd-spark-plug-wire-retainers.html

don't understand why people are getting all in an uproar about it...especially the media...but then again, with GM being under the microscope, things like this would hit the waves.

what i don't get is that to fix a potential fire hazard, the replace the spark plug retainers? how the hell is that going to solve anything...oil will still get on the manifold and "catch fire".

i had to lol @ their statement in the letter (see my link) about not parking the car in any covered structure...lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts