Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 SS Indy car, but the body rolls a bit too much for my liking. I found a GM Handling package, but I'd like to know if it really made a difference before I spend the time and the money to do it. If anyone has had it done at all can you tell me what you think?

·
Registered
375 Posts
If you're looking for the absolute best bang for your buck, add a rear STB with Donrome's brackets. The whole setup will run you 50 bucks and eliminates a lot of sway in the back.

If you don't have a front STB, add that before the rear.

The GMPP handling kit includes one STB, along with trailing arms and 2 sway bars. The kit is good for the price, but you have an SS, which already has some upgraded parts compared to the base and LS models.

You'll see less benefit than the base model and LS model owners, but it's still not a bad price for what you get.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'd probably be lying if I told you that you'd be blown away by the handling after getting the GMPP kit.

Components of the kit being:
-Rear Sway
-Front Sway
-1 STB
-Solid rear trailing arms

You would not need to STB, and your sways are slightly smaller than, or equal to, the GMPP sways (not sure on the exact numbers... would need to measure yours). I don't know if the SS models have solid rear trailing arms.. if you look in front of the rear tires and see round trailing arms, then yours are already upgraded, so you'd have no use for those either.

If you get a caliper and measure up your factory parts, we can figure out how much of an improvement we're really talking about, here.

The price is still not bad, since you can sell off parts you don't need. You might see a better improvement by buying some light 18" wheels and taking advantage of the shorter sidewalls of 18" tires.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know this is an old thread...but I was about to ask a similar question. I was wondering if there are options available for good handling and better ride comfort combined.

As absurd as some may find it; My friend has a 1997 Mercedes C280, the handling is superb, yet at the same time he can run over speed bumps doing 10 times my speed when I do. And you can barely feel it in his car, you can only hear it. Me and this other guy (who's got a pimped out Buick) were amazed...oh wait, is there anyway we could use some springs off those old C class Mercs?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I know this is an old thread...but I was about to ask a similar question. I was wondering if there are options available for good handling and better ride comfort combined.

As absurd as some may find it; My friend has a 1997 Mercedes C280, the handling is superb, yet at the same time he can run over speed bumps doing 10 times my speed when I do. And you can barely feel it in his car, you can only hear it. Me and this other guy (who's got a pimped out Buick) were amazed...oh wait, is there anyway we could use some springs off those old C class Mercs?

You could add the GMPP handling kit, as it doesn't make the ride harsher. Handling does generally not go hand in hand with ride comfort. There are tons of components which result in the handling and ride quality you have - upgrading any of them will have some positive result.

The Merc. suspension system could be completely different than yours, so an easy crossover is really unlikely.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Chances are Merc's suspension is a whole lot more sophisticated than your simple american chevrolet impala's. I imagine they use better materials, and also have a lot for engineering and testing to back up thier suspension.

I didnt check to see what google thinks of the conversion, but i would say highly unlikely.

·
Registered
4 Posts
what about ADDCO sways? I was thinking of purchasing those.as well what would be a good choice of struts have 03 ls 3.8 sport package

·
Banned
117 Posts
Or check out some of your local salvage yards for some '00-'05 9C1 Impala's.They come factory with a pretty beefed up suspension.

Honestly out of all the ex-Cop cars i have owned.This Impala has the stiffest suspension i have ever had,even @ 106K..... GM really did a good job at beefing up this Impala.

·
Registered
36 Posts
slp also makes a set of front and rear sway bars that would help, not too expensive, but not cheap either.. i believe for both they run 300 bucks.. drop the car! that will help, i have eibach springs on my 01 ls and it helped alot with the roll

·
Registered
375 Posts
Not sure what size the slp bars come out to, but 300 is not cheap for sways on the Impalas. The entire GMPP handling kit, which includes 19mm rear and 34mm front sways, along with an STB and solid tubular trailing arms, is only 200USD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wondering... does anyone know of a place to purchase the handling kit in canada, or easier.. where to order such that they ship to canada? I have a 2001 Impala LS and am fed up with the handling / braking capabilities... I am also wanting to do the fbody caliper upgrade...

·
Registered
375 Posts
A member (ZSPOT) at NAIOA.com will ship to you, he works at a dealer and may give you a price break.

Not sure how much you will get hit for shipping and at the border, though. I had someone bring my parts across the border

1 - 20 of 29 Posts