Impala Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all. New guy on the block. Just sold my 1970 Chevelle SS 454 and downgraded to a more street drivable machine 1994 Impala SS 5.7. My first plan is to stroke the engine to 383cc and then ProCharge. Is it worth it to stroke my Impala? ($3500) will I be able to drive it as a daily driver and go on short trips (300-800mi)? Would appreciate any input pro's or con's on stroking. - Thanks- Paul

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
ok well first of all b4 destroying the stock ss block i know someone who has alredy done this mod and is know selling his 383 block ( was lt1) so if u want more info i can give it to u he also did both carbureted and fuel injected apps so i know he knows alot about this if u want more info i think he only wants 300 for the block let me know welcome to tha forum

·
Registered
13 Posts
ok stroker a sbc block doesnt destroy it theres 2 ways they can be clearanced 1 cnc machine with a cad program that does it in minutes or 2 do it by hand and actually the crank will clear its the rods that like to hit and it really really helps to git a .050 smaller base circle cam so everything clears nicely

daily driving issue not much of a issue really depends on the rpm range of the motor u want to go with ofcourse you cant daily drive to easliy a motor u want to scream to like 7g's plus u know i daily drove my 383 for 2 years with no proplems until i installed the 3400stall and all it did was just smoke the tires lol anyway i hopes this helps and answered your question

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
If you think adding displacement adds power than you will get walked on by 350 cars that did things right, trust me I have done the walking on.

Power is about airflow, ALL the air comes and goes through the heads, the displacement of the bottomened can help tame a bigger cam and lower the rpms needed to hit a power goal but does not add power all by itself.

If you throw together a stroker and then even feed it boost but fail to properly address the heads and cam I guarantee you my little 350 car would eat your's alive.

Put it this way, I have seen cheap Golen strokers put 320rwhp down, my 350 puts something close to 400rwhp down, and a good stroker with the same heads I have can put down 440rwhp and still be just fine for daily driving. For a little perspective, stock is about 220rwhp. All this is without any boost or nitrous :eek: .

Takes a LOT to get a car setup for this stuff too.

So I would suggest you not blindly jump into this stroker thing. $3500 is about what a decent SHORTBLOCK would cost without any heads, good heads are $1500+, can easily spend another $1000 on valvetrain, timing set, oil pump etc. Basically you will spend at least $6K to get a decent stroker complete and the car itself will need as much in intake, exhaust, drivetrain, fuel system and suspension work.

I kknow all that sounds discourageing, but should be less discouraging than doing what it sounded like you were going too, I have seen at least one kid build a stroker and then put stock heads and a bad cam in it and even with headers it only made like 220rwhp, was a complete turd even when he put nitrous too it.

You can add a lot of power with just boltons too. Nice intake tract(not manifold stock is good) exhaust, tuning, maybe some fresh valvesprings and roller rockers and you can be pretty easily 280rwhp, get everything just right and guys have hit 300rwhp without doing heads/cam or shortblock.

Things like gears and a higher stall torque converter make the car MUCH faster too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello to all. New guy on the block. Just sold my 1970 Chevelle SS 454 and downgraded to a more street drivable machine 1994 Impala SS 5.7. My first plan is to stroke the engine to 383cc and then ProCharge. Is it worth it to stroke my Impala? ($3500) will I be able to drive it as a daily driver and go on short trips (300-800mi)? Would appreciate any input proe's or con's on stroking. - Thanks- Paul
Yeah! Definitely it is worth to upgrade it.

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
if you can afford it stroke heads/cam cars dont make anywhere near the power down low like a 383 try like 80-100 horsepower difference rather then 40
A GOOD stroker makes more lowend. Problem is most guys do things halfassed.

Your HP number differences are a steaming pile of bull and proof you don't know what you are talking about.

HP is about airflow, airflow is about heads and cam NOT displacement. Displacement just affectsd what rpm is needed to accomplish that airflow.

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
everytime somebody brings up stroker questions on either forums you always respond with this bullshit about how all you need is a top half because this is what you have last time i mentioned your name at a ecirs event multiple people laughed and said last time they seen that car it was running high 13s like most head/cam cars i think you were asswhole naked on a 150 shot when you did that high 11 post some video of some recent times
I attended ONE national event and ran high 12s all day so either you are lying or the guys you spoke to are. It was also god aweful HOT and humid and some of the "better" done strokers were running true 13s .3-.6 slower than I was.

Also go back to the first line of my post I said a GOOD stroker makes more and that most people do things badly.

Never been so much as an empty nitrous bottle in my car much less a kit.

I have video of high 11s last fall, watch the launch and it is pretty clear the swaybars are there, SS wheels on front, you can see two front seats etc.. People don't like the result so they claim I am lying. Several guys have backed me up on the other forum, including one who took these videos and one who has driven the car.

11.973 video by 95SStorm - Photobucket
11.985 video by 95SStorm - Photobucket
12.023 video by 95SStorm - Photobucket
12.073 video by 95SStorm - Photobucket

Oh and here would be a 12.7 on street tires.
12.7XX Street tire run video by 95SStorm - Photobucket

Here is a video from that St. Louis event can't see the scoreboard but the announcer clearly says I was number 2 qualifier with 12.8 and announces the 12.8 from that pass.
DJ St Louis rnd 1 video by 95SStorm - Photobucket

So who in this thread is full of $h!t, seems to me it is you.

There were multiple trailered strokers there the only one faster in competition was Mike Harris and he happens to trust the same topend guys I do.

There was a Golen 383 there, an ERE motor with LE trickflows too.

Oh and here it is all documented by one of the ECIRS guys.
http://www.karl-ellwein.org/ISSCA2007/supernatural.htm

Last time my car ran a 13 I was lifting at the 1/8 mile. Wife had never drag raced and GLD will let you have a passenger long as it is slower than 13.5, so I made a pass with her, then she made a pass with me in the passenger seat, lifting at the 1/8 was good for like 13.7 in warm weather with two people. She ran 12.4 that day, not bad for her first time racing.

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
Every time I make my point a few more liars come out of the woodwork though.

I have said it a hundred times, my results are easy to duplicate if someone would just try.

A lot of guys email me for advise, BUT it seems like they all get swayed into "saving" $200 on vastly lower quality parts and then when they don't see the same result think I must not be honest.:rolleyes:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I'm just pissed off I don't have the money! Or should I be arguing that there is no way his car can be faster than mine with a mild cam and 2.41s?

·
Registered
160 Posts
everytime somebody brings up stroker questions on either forums you always respond with this bullshit about how all you need is a top half because this is what you have last time i mentioned your name at a ecirs event multiple people laughed and said last time they seen that car it was running high 13s like most head/cam cars i think you were asswhole naked on a 150 shot when you did that high 11 post some video of some recent times

Isn't it only a sign of respect to acknowledge when your request has been delivered Larry?

Having been in your shoes once I have great respect for Dwayne.

Nice videos DJ

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
[ame=http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/95SStorm/?action=view&current=DJ101009f.flv]
[/ame]

Had a couple passes that were better than this in the 1/8mile but I lifted to try and qualify/run in a 12.2 Index.

New Edge converter with a little more stall and the car's WORST 60ft. of the day was 1.580 :eek:

Did not so much as pop the hood at the track, 150 miles there, empty the trunk bolt on the slicks and run. I was not really prepared to race either, planning this trip began at 7pm friday, got home at 9pm and left for the track at 5:30am saturday.
Maybe I can go again this week and put some 15s on front, maybe pull the belt etc.

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/95SStorm/?action=view&current=DJ101009f.flv

Try copying and pasting that.
Best 60ft was 1.537
We were aiming for about 3800rpms on the stall. Laptop is acting up so I don't have much to verify that with. Oddly it pulls at idle at least as hard as the old 3400 rated converter. Andre is the man, his converters are always evolving and each one launches harder but still drives wonderfully.

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
My exhaust is still out 2.5" pipes under the bumper so it is really quiet for the ET.

I used to hate the way the sleds sounded BUT that track has a crowd that like rotary engines in 70s imports, after listening to that crap the sleds sound like Beethoven. They stage at like 9000rpms and just about stall out on launch, think a HonDA makes twice the torque those things do. In the end they are quick but it is all AFTER the 330ft. mark.

Did you change you Avitar and signature? :eusa_think::laughing4:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts