Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my impala is nearing 100K. about 500 miles until. I've had her since 17k and i'm getting ready to take a 8 hour drive to Myrtle Beach in May (longest road trip i've taken with it) and just wondering what i should get done to make sure i have a good trip with no problems, just had an oil change about 1,000 miles ago.
Last time i went for an oil change they mentioned getting the coolant system flushed and the transmission flushed, should i get both of those done before i head out?

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
do not flush the transmission

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ Agreed and many others will agree also. Simply have the fluid drained and filter/fluid replaced. Flushing the coolant system is fine though. I personally would have the dex-cool coolant replaced with prestone instead. Also, if not much of a hassle (or $ if a shop is doing) I would replace the Thermostat as a safety net just in case. T-stats go out on a regular basis and it might as well be done at this time.

·
Registered
306 Posts
So my impala is nearing 100K. about 500 miles until. I've had her since 17k and i'm getting ready to take a 8 hour drive to Myrtle Beach in May (longest road trip i've taken with it) and just wondering what i should get done to make sure i have a good trip with no problems, just had an oil change about 1,000 miles ago.
Last time i went for an oil change they mentioned getting the coolant system flushed and the transmission flushed, should i get both of those done before i head out?
air those tires up to 40 pounds, or at least 35 pounds.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool, i will check into that coolant flush and thermostat change.
airing the tires up will do what? give me better gas mileage i assume?

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ Yes it will reduce surface area of tire contact with the road therefor reduce drag. Reduced drag = better mpg

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Why not rent an new Impala for the roadtrip?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I wouldn't sweat an 8 hour trip. If somethings going to go without warning its going to go. Check the tire pressure, check the condition of the belts and top off all the fluids. Do the coolant flush and trans fluid change when you get home so if they screw something up you wont be hundreds of miles away, those things won't effect the trip as long as the levels are where they should be.

my .02

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm personally leery of having major work done - eg coolant flush or transmission service - before a road trip. I like to drive the car for at least a couple of weeks to make sure everything is ok.

I'd rather have the transmission start slipping (A 1997 Ford F-150 with only 58,000 km on it!), or a lower rad hose blow off (A 1990 Toyota 4Runner that was given the cooling system service in 1993 at a dealership) while putting around town, or have it quit in my driveway, instead of 500 miles down the road.

Maybe I just have bad luck with trusting the "pros" to work on my vehicles!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I personally never had any trouble after doing a tranny fluid and filter change. No flush!! Changing out your coolant and thermostat should be fine as well. Drive the car around a lot before you go and chech for leaks. After no leaks you should be good to go. Have fun I love myrtle beach.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts