Impala Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have recently owned Caprice 1991 with 5.0 engine. i have been getting CHeck Engine light on. I went to my nearest car service center and get the code scanned. Electrician told me that its code 32 that says = EGR Signaling Incorrect Valve operation. When he further investigated the problem by opening the hood of my caprice, he found out that the previous owner had disconnected or taken out the EGR connection that goes somewhere to Fuel injection or air filter side. Thats what that electrician told me. Since im new to this car and not much familiar, so i am not sure what actually it means. It seems to be a Hose connected to EGR is disconnected and its open.
Is it dangerous to drive my car in such a condition? my car is running perfect, but consuming more fuel than average. is replacing or installing new EGR valve too expensive? What are the mainly operations of EGR? please help me out in brief...thank you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The EGR valve redirects exhaust back into the intake to be burned again, the EGR valve only opens when your foot is off the gas, like when coasting... If you leave it unplugged(the electrical connector) no real ill effects will take place, your check engine light will be on however... Now if the metal tube that comes from the exhaust is disconnected, you want to fix that, it will spew hot exhaust under the hood, not likely, but still possible to start a fire. EGR valves are relatively cheap and very easy to fix.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts