Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The Unscrupulous Lt. Colonel
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ummmm, what order of generation are our impalas in???? Im asking in refering to this:

·
Banned
2,492 Posts

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
PS, I'm totally right in that conversation, and any sane person should be able to look at the facts presented and agree, but that's just my biased opinion...lol

·
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh wow, im sorry man. I didnt know this was currently being discussed. Wiki is full of shit.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
seriously?

·
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It just seems like the best way to get accurate info without angering people is to call GM Chevy division and ask them. Or maybe ask Tricia:lol:

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
GM will say there's no benchmark for determining it. I've seen it mentioned several times in multiple automotive publications. It's been said that it's generally accepted that when there's a major departure, or major change to the core structure, it is a generational change. Things that can be bolted on, are generally viewed as a model upgrade. And the reason this is generally accepted is that it makes perfect logical sense. If you look at every photo example on wiki, with that in mind, you can see its quite logical to agree. That's all I ever said, except for the magazine part, the only anger came from the people who choose to use blinders and only see what has been listed here, not any kind of outside explaination and call it bs. which then induced anger from me cause I hate that shit, I grew up in a small rural town and thinking like that just makes me ape shit, but it's an involuntary reflex to said way of thinking. I can't help it.

Tricia would just look at her script and would say that we have to bring every example down to the dealer so they can run the vin and see what it says. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
The agreement was that GM is dumb and doesn't say how they do it. IMO, 2 & 3 gen are the same...

·
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well when you guys put it that way, GM is a major part of the problem. And I say this in reference to the 90's Impala SS, which it should be its own car that reads Impala SS on a persons title or Bill of Sale. And that further confuses the topic at hand, because many say that this is a "trim package" or performance package of the Caprice? Maybe I'm thinking too much outside the box. However with that in mind, in chronological order as a poll, what generations are all the impalas are?

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
you're probably right about the "tri-9" Impalas, seeing that they are in fact a trim package of the caprice, and not a stand alone model, they shouldn't be included in the generational ladder. But try telling them that. Never thought about that. So that kind of solves it, but not in a way anyone expected, there are in fact 8 generations. Well done sir.

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
Wow.......Kane just solved the mystery. lol Now YOU can edit the wiki page. ;)

·
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LMFAO, as interesting as this is. I need to further research each year from 1958 to current on each impala generation. Now that we ve gotten the 90's version about taken care of, I would like to see the 1st - 3rd generation impalas that have been of heated discussion this weekend. Very very good topic as of late, cause this really needs to be addressed for us owners.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
well check my post in the other thread, I break it down as wiki does, and added their pics for each generation to get you started, eBay usually has a wide selection of each year with many good pics so you can see for yourself year by year if you'd like. I'm fairly confident the rest is true to wiki's breakdown, I just totally forgot about the 90's version...

·
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
I like it, it's a good response to the hot debate. Only issue is *ninth, not nineth. lol Damn rule exceptions.

·
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Consider it changed:eek:k3:

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Well when you guys put it that way, GM is a major part of the problem. And I say this in reference to the 90's Impala SS, which it should be its own car that reads on a persons title or Bill of Sale. And that further confuses the topic at hand, because many say that [the Impala SS] is a "trim package" or performance package of the Caprice? Maybe I'm thinking too much outside the box.
If you look back thru the history of the various models, you can just about say that about all the divisions of GM. I've seen Bonnevilles, 88's and LeSabre's that looked so similar as to nearly be Caprice package options, too

That is, one man's model name is another man's package option. I've seen times when there were way more differences between the 2-door and 4-door Catalina than there was between the Caprice and Pontiac Parisienne.

As for the mid-90's subject at hand, I always felt that, in the absence of a non-SS Impala , that the Impala SS could only be considered a Caprice package option and not a standalone model.

Of course, all that really matters is whether GM made any money on them

Doug

·
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Excellent point, and i bet on the LS1 and Trans Am forum. They or somebody sooner or later will have this exact same discussion about their Firebird/ Trans Am/ Firehawk.

As for our issues here, Im glad this topic came about because I almost made a mistake and ordered a 6th generation tag that said "Six Gen SS". But "BMF 96" will do:eek:k3:

·
Banned
2,492 Posts

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Wiki is still unchanged!!! That's too funny!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts