Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys installed an aftermarket EFI system (Edelbrock ProFlo for example) onto a first gen small block? I'm thinking about it for my 65 SS project but i dont really know a lot about them and if theyre worth the money. I've heard they are easy to tune and pretty reliable, but what I want to know is if they will allow me to reach my 500hp goal... The block is a 4 bolt main 350 to get bored .030 or .060 over with AFR 195cc aluminum heads w/ 68cc chambers, fully CNC ported, 2.02/1.60 valves... The EFI system should be able to give it enough fuel... right?

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
How commited to that build are you???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I kinda put the 65 project on the back burner right now due to the recent acquisition of a 71 Nova... but i would like to build somthing of the same nature for the nova. I would like to experiment with the EFI regardless of the car its going to be in...so as far as dedication...im 100% dedicated to building this engine...Why do you ask?

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
AFR is more marketing than results. You would do better to buy say Trickflows at a cheaper price.

I am sure that flies in the face of all you have read but it is just what I have seen.

Talked to more than one guy who has them on LT1 who wishes he had stayed with ported GM castings :eek: Heck the guy I bought my core heads from built a 383 LT1 with TPIS CNC'd AFRs for his Camaro. My Caprice with a 350 is FASTER with his old factory heads, I had them ported. He wishes he could buy them back now.

Before you dismiss it as an LT1 thing, all the aftermarket LT1 heads are just gen 1 heads with the coolant passages tweaked.

AFR's Eliminator heads MIGHT be better than the old stuff but are untested. Magazine articles do not count.

On injection, how carried away do you want to get? On the budget DIY end of things there is megasquirt, on the higher end of things is something like XFI.

http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
http://www.compperformancegroupstor...n=CTGY&Store_Code=FS&Category_Code=EfiSystems

If you want to you can get a little creative and make the LT1 injection work with a rear mount distributor. Not a bad system, dirt cheap to tune and log the 94-5 system, only real limit too it is the pcm is only good to 7-7200rpms, a 2-BAR MAP has even been adapted too it.

If money were no object I would do the XFI with wideband in a heartbeat, it is faster to tune and would let me spin some rpms when I build an engine.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
That looks pretty interesting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But as far as the AFRs go.. i got a really good deal on them and i had read that they were decent heads so i just bought em figuring i could use em on sumthin..wat the heck why not?

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
In the automotive aftermarket companies often have either a big advertizing budget or a big R&D budget. Guess which one sells more parts :icon_wink: .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts