Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am short on $$$ and i just got new 3.73 gears and the abs reluctor. To my knowledge, the stock posi is still functional, Im not going to run into any issues right? Anyone else have this same set up. My car has minor modifications- intake, exhaust, etc

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I think most of the guys use the stock posi unit, maybe rebuilt ones, but stock all the same.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You would probably be better off on waiting till you saved up enough money to put a better posi in like an Eaton.. that will save you on labor or having to tear apart you rearend twice. With 3.73s you will have a little more get up and go. Burn outs will be funner and in return wearing out or breaking your stock posi. Then you will be left with a one tire burn out, not so fun.

·
Super Moderator
3,941 Posts
The stock posi is NOT rebuildable.

The only problem with putting 3.73s on a stock posi is as noted above you will be repaying for installation once you do need to put another posi in.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Not rebuildable? Good to know, I was not aware of that.

·
Super Moderator
3,941 Posts
"rebuildable" is the reason I decided on the Eaton clutch posi BUT what they don't tell you is the rebuild parts cost as much as a new posi.

Next might be a Torsen.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Aren't the cone type units fairly bulletproof? I don't really know much about which brands make what.

·
Super Moderator
3,941 Posts
The stock Auburn is not bad but not being rebuildable means replacing them when they get flakey. Guys do do halfassed clutch only rebuilds on the Eatons for cheap but to do it right cost as much as new.

There is an Auburn Pro that they will do an exchange on worn out ones, a friend uses one in an f-body and when he broke the spiders the price to get a new exchange one was reasonable but I don't know of anyone using the aftermarket Auburns in a b-body.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts