Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
After 280K my tank straps finally rusted so much the welds have broken.

Not into having the tank fall outa the bottom of the car so got some new ones
off Fea-bay for $50.

They are painted black, but i want them to last so going
to the Powder Coater this weekend to see what it will be to get them coated.

Hopefully they won't get so thick it's tough to install them after being coated.

-ALF out...

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
if you had 280k miles and they just now rusted out, i'd say putting on the stock ones without any paint modifications would be a safe bet. you think the car will last another 280k? just saying....that's a pretty good life span for being near the ocean/snow/salt contact. lol

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
^^Agreed - on a car of that age, with that many miles, I'd just put the new ones on as-is since they will most likely outlast the rest of the car anyway (based on how long the originals lasted) - UNLESS this is a "show car" or a car that you plan on keeping for a LONG time and keeping in near-perfect condition or something.

But if it's a "daily driver", then I wouldn't worry about getting the new straps powder coated - they will most likely outlast the rest of the car in as-is in "stock" form. Put that money into something else that needs maintenance or improvements.

I don't believe that I've ever seen any pictures of your car though - so maybe I'm out of line with this response! What type of condition is it in and what are your long-term plans for it? Is it a daily driver or a "garage queen" car that you only use on the weekends?

EDIT: Duh... Just realized that you have pics of it in your garage! It looks like it's in really nice shape and very well taken care of, so I now I understand why you want to "do it right".... So yeah, if you plan to keep the car long term and keep up on it, I can understand why you'd want to get them powder coated.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Understood

Thank you guys for your opinions,

I have a cardomain.com link to many pics of my car in my Sig :devil

Personally i am curious what the "Chrome" powder coat color looks like
and using these parts as a test to find out.
Everyone says it looks aluminum but i want to see for myself.

If i like it i may use it on BLING stuff like suspension parts, control arms, etc....
But that could be years from now. :happy1:

-ALF out....

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I couldn't swing the price of the Chrome, so go the silver.

Not sure when I'll get them installed.

-ALF out...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All DONE !

Got them installed.

Old ones for reference.

-ALF out..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do you have link for where you purchased the replacements? I wondered about the side 'heat shields' might also be available?
Congrats on the '280K'!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts