Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 pontic grand -am gas gauge is not working right one mintue it reads full and all of sudden it dropes down and reads 1/4 tanke then few mintues again it reads full again and jumps around all the time noy giving the right reading so i never know how much gas is really in the tanke please help.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
that's the sending unit in the tank going bad in it,and you have to pull the tank to replace it,if i went that far with it,id also go ahead and replace the pump and the sending unit assembly as one unit,they come like this and will give less problems than just replacing the sending unit by its self,then all of it will be new,and it has to work right as long as the gage is good,and they don't give that many problems,especially in those cars,good luck with it.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your sending unit has gone bad. Take it to a local repair shop or a dealership and they can replace it.

You can buy the sending unit by itself or you can buy it with a fuel pump as an assembly(means both come together). If you buy the assembly then it should fix any problems you have with the gas gauge.

Hope this helps!!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know the answer but we have an '89 Buick that does the same. I bet it would cost alot to fix. When we fill up, we reset the trip odometer to 0 and then we know about when we need to fill up again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts