Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read about problems with the gas gauges on the generation Impala my dad has, and his is not immune.

When we got the car it would work intermittently, but now the gas gauge needle is always pointing around the 6:00 position. Is this probably a problem with the cluster or something at the fuel pump itself?

Any info that can be sent my way is appreciated so I can fix the problem.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have read about problems with the gas gauges on the generation Impala my dad has, and his is not immune.

When we got the car it would work intermittently, but now the gas gauge needle is always pointing around the 6:00 position. Is this probably a problem with the cluster or something at the fuel pump itself?

Any info that can be sent my way is appreciated so I can fix the problem.
Are you getting any CEL's? If your not then I am guessing your gauge is bad. Or even possibly a ground somewhere.

My coolant gauge is not working and I have no CEL's. And your right, these cars are infamous for those gauges.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It may also be a sender in the gas tank......

I highly doubt your pump is bad. If it was, then it wouldn't be preasurizing fuel through to the injectors.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys.

There was an Impala at the junkyard so I went ahead & grabbed the fuel level sensor off the pump. The cluster is the deluxe with the tach or I would ahve grabbed that as well.

Will the speedo swap out & retain the mileage if I grab the cluster?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
forgot to mention I did test the replacement sensor & it doesn't seem to have any dead spots & the resistance varies depending on the position of the float arm. I'll update after I swap it out on wednesday.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you getting any CEL's? If your not then I am guessing your gauge is bad. Or even possibly a ground somewhere.

My coolant gauge is not working and I have no CEL's. And your right, these cars are infamous for those gauges.
Now that I think of it, he has an intermittent check engine light. Currently it is out but it has been on before & when I was gonna check the code it went out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can buy just a fuel level sensor from the dealer for like $30
capricewiz,

Wow thats a great price. My cousing has an 04 Impala and his gauge was not working and the local dealer quoted me $180.00 just for the level sensor by itself. Do you know where I can get one for $30 or do you have an part number I can order from the dealer?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am looking at an 04' SS and the photo online has the same issue you are describing here is a photo they have posted online. Do you think it is the level sensor issue and I should try and get them to knock the price down a bit.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The cluster would have to be replaced depending on the dealership they may good will the cluster for you because GM clusters are notorious for having problems. If the car is being sold by a GM dealer i would tell them they need to replace the cluster because all they will do is replace it at internal pricing and sumbit the claim as good will warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is a used car from a local Pontiac GMC Dealership. If they say they will not replace the cluster what would the cost be if I had to purchase the cluster myself?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
if youre confident enough to attempt the fix yourself, you're looking @ about $20 for a new part, otherwise anywhere from $100+ to get it fixed/replaced...

google steeper motor replacement, theres TONS of how to on replacing them...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks, I am sure I could handle this issue my buddy is a Mercedes mechanic so I am sure he could help me figure it out. I am going to look at the Impala today and hopefully I can get them to knock a few bucks off for the issue.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts