Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I have the 1990 Turbo Grand Prix, and she is sitting, dead, right now. I need a new transmission for her, but in the meantime, I'm wondering what kinds of fun I could have if I take the turbo out, and put it in the Impala. Does anyone know if it has been done, or could be done? I hear these engines are putting out 302 hp as it is, so I can only imagine how much fun it would be if I can slap it on there....thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Anything can be done if you spend enough $$$. :) That being said, it would probably be pretty expensive to retrofit that kit into your Impala. I also don't know how much more power the LFX engine, and more importantly, the transmission, can handle... Lots to worry about. :)

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk

·
Go Get It
15,046 Posts
The trickiest part would be fabbing up all of the plumbing you'll need. AFAIK, there's no direct bolt-on turbo kit for the LFX. If you are good with a welder, and have plenty of spare pipe in various sizes, you could hack up a set of headers and make something up without too much trouble. But in any case, it would be an involved project, much more than just "slapping it on."

·
Registered
287 Posts
with an 11.5:1 compression ratio tuning and charge air temperature will be very important (more so than on a 3800) when blowing an LFX. That said, its been done, and would most likely be easiest as a remote mount setup.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts