Impala Forums banner

garage says catalytic converter is gone. no check engine lights are on. but...

12K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  auntjemima 
G
#1 ·
...car has no power.its 2003 impala? chev impala 2003 ls

G
#2 ·
I am not sure what your question is, but if it is along the lines of you not believing the shop your car is at do this.

Crawl underneath it and if your converter is gone you will notice it immediately. Look at where your exhaust pipe leaves your engine and follow it to the back of your car. I should be one solild piece with the converter about half way to the tail pipe.

No power in your car leads me to believe your converter is hosed up.

#4 ·
Since this is in the nitrous section, if you are spraying the car pretty heavily, the cat has likely melted and is effectively acting like the bananas that Eddie Murphy used in that old LTD in the original Beverly Hills Cop movie.

Unbolt the downpipe from the manifold, and take it for a drive and see if the power returns. Failing that, you can do an exhaust backpressure test or watch the engine vaccuum to determine weather or not the exhaust is restricted.

#5 ·
HI, Our 2001 3.4 Impala once hardly made it home up some hills. The Catalytic converter was plugged. It would idle ok. We had some time previously gotten a letter from GM telling about a possible problem with the converter. The Chevrolet dealer ended up replacing it for free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.