Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if a full size spare will fit in the space the doughnut occupies in a 2004 Impala? I'm running the factory 5 spoke alloy with factory 225/60/16s.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
The one thing I've noticed about the spare tire well is that it's not very deep. While the skinny, small spare fits in there with lots of space left over, a standard wheel/tire of typical width will push the floor cover up a bit, maybe a couple inches.

Assuming a standard diameter tire will fit, it will need to be a skinny tire mounted on a skinny wheel, something on the order of only ~5 inches or so. Or perhaps you could build some sort of frame to raise the floor of the trunk.

I hope you succeed at this. Having a road-worthy, full-sized spare definitely has some upside.

Doug

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Doug. I was eyeballing and thinking what you're thinking. I'll mess around with some solutions. Not only do I like having a full size spare but I also like the idea of being able to fully rotate my tires. The full size spare would primarily come into play during long road trips so I may make a fiberglass overlay and drop in the full size during those trips. There'd be a mound in the trunk but I could work around it. Maybe even remove the trunk carpet during trips and toss in a remanent carpet with a hole cut in it for the fiberglass cover to poke through. When I'm driving around home the doughnut could go in. This may make a fun winter project.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts