Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone ever restored one of those beauty??? :smile: I just bought one... I need suggestions where to start or advices... thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm currently restoring mine, but its still a driver. I'm hoping to buy another frame and build it up from scratch with an LSX motor.

I don't know how to advise you on mods, im going to need some more info, what do you want out of your impala, what is its current condition? Do you want a Drag racer, beauty queen, or maybe a little of both? And most importantly how much do you want to spend?

·
Registered
21 Posts
ss

well buddy depending on the condition of your engine i would start there,,i am currently restoring mine with a " back to basics" look,,, don't know what look you are going after but,, draw up a "blueprint" and go from there!:wink:

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Start by having the car inspected thoroughly so you know where you stand mechanically. After that, consider the shape of the exterior and interior and determine what needs attention/replacing. These things will quickly give you a ball park figure of what it will take. To completely refurbish (restore) a B Body in 2002 it cost anywhere from 12-18,000 dollars, with that invested back then you basically got a new car back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well that's pretty much what i want to do: restore it as a new car. Maybye I'm dreaming a bit here but i want it all stock looking... I got a contact close my home he can gets new parts for half price. it's the engine that will probably be upgrade:biggrin: I'm going to a mechanic school right now and i got a teacher that knows 350small blocks by heart. Apparently he knows a lot of magic recipes about those engines to convert them in almost drag engines! But he said those LT1s are reverse cooling and iron heads so there basicly really good engines. The cams could be changed for example, and this is the kind of upgrade i want... small modifications 'cause i want to ride a car... not a drag!:smile:

my car condition is pretty good. I bought it from Ontario cause what was important to me was the frame/floor... I live in Quebec and weather conditions are dirty! Its a little rusty but i looks good, so i guess shooting against rust every year could be a smart inverstment... The engine bay is more damaged by the rust... If it is replacable, I would need new interior fenders (what hides the suspension tables) Plus the body needs a paintjob. The paint is so damaged and it's cracking all over the hood. It's a dark cherry but i want it black. I talked to a guy and he says i would be a bit expensive if i painted in factory black, BBB.

I plan to pull the engine out after the winter, I got the crank main seal leaking so i'm gonna strip it. I'm gonna be able to check every little details of that engine so if i change everything that is worn i guess i'll be able to give a second life to that engine.

In conclusion, I know it's a big project and i think i worth it considering to value of that car. It's a good idea to make inspect the vehicle and right down what needs to be done. Thanks a lot fellows, appreciate it. Im the new guy here and i still have a lot to learn about those beasts!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Inner fenders can be replaced with caprice ones from junkyards, New OEM parts are hard to come by nowadays. Paint is quite expensive, especially when changing colors. For a profesional job your looking at $2,500 - 4,000 depending on the body work needed.

Lt-1 can be built up lots of different ways, and can make a lot of power. You could get a 383 stroker ($6,000), or ported aluminum heads and cam package ($2,500), or just a stock rebuild with lots of bolt-ons (Cat-back exhaust, Tri-y Headers, RAISS Intake, 3.73 gears, PCM-Tune from reputable tuner). Either way is better than a tired and abused Lt-1.

Don't forget about the suspension either. There are lots of different products out there for us to make these boats handle like a F-body. There are swaybars, springs, shocks, Front-End rebuild kits, body bushings, beefier rear upper & lower control arms.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks dude about all those informations!

I know there were a lot of modifications you could bring to a 350... but there I didn't know there were so much for a street car like that. I knew too it would be a couple of thousands for a paint job, but like i wrote I would like the factory color so i don't know if it's still possible to get this color, or if it is but it costs half a million i just stick with a regular black...!

So I guess if you wanna restore this car you actually got to spend around the value of this car back in the days when it came out of the dealers... but still I think it's a good project tho... day after day there's less on the roads... i feel happy to save one, giving it a second life!

Thanks everyone for the tips!

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
If your serious....once you start this "refurbishment" I have MANY new GM things for this car, inside and out. Lots of things I have are the last of their kind and no longer available new from GM, thats why I bought those things for use down the road.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought the car and I got it delivered at home on September 25th. I bought it from a guy living in Newmarket, Ontario (it's close from Toronto) It bought it 5500 and I think I've hit a good deal tho... The guy had his project to restore it 'cause it needs it, especialy the body. The paint on the hood is cracked and you can see my picture there's like white paint on the bumper and the mags are realy worn... like if the dude had hit a hundred times the sidewalk trying to park that thing! But exept the body the car runs good and he estimates the car around 200 000km... he didn't know exactly the mileage because because of that damn cluster that isn't working... :mad:

I could have wait to get one already restored or almost new... but the price I would have paid or the money i'm gonna invest on that car to restore it is pretty much the same sum (I think...)

Do you have one buddy?

·
Registered
21 Posts
hey i have a question for George Bates... do you guys have any dashboard pads laying around?? I tried fiberglassing mine and the project went totally array!!!!:confused:

·
Registered
39 Posts
restores are easy.

Pull everything apart, interior, front clip, engine / trans comes out.

Get yourself some engine hoists / trees, and pull the body off the frame.

Roll the frame into the garage,

remove the suspension, rear end, bolts, etc etc etc. Now por-15 the thing. Now have the engine tanns and rear-end rebuilt, now start putting everything back together. it it looks dirty clean it! If its faded, paint it. leave no bolt head untouched.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
hey i have a question for George Bates... do you guys have any dashboard pads laying around?? I tried fiberglassing mine and the project went totally array!!!!:confused:
We have new ones and we have used cracked ones that I was going to have fixed and wrapped in leather like the one on my car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey bigd9000, you seens to have a solid car project! Thanks for all that advices... the only problem now is the money...! and the parts! I went to a chevy dealer a couple days ago and the can barely parts for those cars... so if i got major parts that i can<t no where else than the dealer... im in shit! But i<ll find a way to get this car stripped and clean and restored professionnaly!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts