Impala Forums banner

fuel pump ???

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  kingnutin 
#1 ·
so i was working on my 95 caprice 9c1 replacing the fuel pump . car started with 47ish psi of fuel pressure, fine ran for a few minutes then the fuel gauge went totaly full , and the car no longer starts and no fuel preasure . did i kill the new pump ? while the pump assembly was out i noticed the contacts for the float were worn i used a flat head driver to move them so they made a better contact . i chacked the regulator its ok replaced the filter ,relay . heard somewhere they have a flood fuel cut off ?? pulled the return line off the tank and fuel comes out under a little pressure i have the car up on jack stands now and been under , in and around . help please i need to do some burnouts ! side note : tossed some 275/65/25 's on the back they smoke up good !

#2 ·
I would be looking at wiring, the internal harness has been known to melt as has the harness from body harness to tank.

If you used a replacement pump with a black rubber stub line expect that to fail as the black hose is not good for in fuel use it fails when exposed to fuel inside and out. The stock or stock like clear flex straw is best.

#4 ·
I forget if the gauge pegging upward is a ground issue or not but I suppose the easiest place to start is to check the ground on the hinge support in the trunk, then I would look at the wiring coming from the tank to the body harness connection, if no problems found then I would be looking at dropping the tank again.

#7 ·
Yep. They share the same harness back there....

#9 ·
Thank you for sharing your simple mistake, sharing it may just help someone else next time.

Far as the MSD opti they are junk, the cap and rotor are OK but the billet base causes a lot of problems.
10mm wires are going to be hard to loom well and that is about it, I would use stock ones first.

#10 ·
You may want to check out dynaspark for the opti, they provide a lifetime warranty, and my friend has had good luck with his, in fact he just bought a second. One in his Monte Carlo and one in his vette.

#12 ·
I just talked to my friend today, apparently dynaspark sold to some tool company and they now come from china, I guess they are about the same as the $70 Chinese optis but cost $600 instead... Stick with delco!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.