Impala Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Chevy Impala LT 4-Cyl 2.5
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Let me start by saying I’m a 25y/o female with very little experience with vehicles. I have lurked around on this forum for a while and finally decided to to make an account and post my issue in hopes someone can help.
I own a 2014 Impala LT 2.5 4cyl 119,000mi This car is beautiful.
Recently having issues that the car wants to die at stop lights. Never while driving down the road, only at stop lights while idling the car will get shaky and sputtery and either act like it’s going to die or does die. Hit the gas, car doesn’t die. Long story short, one day idling in my drive, stabilitrak pops on, reduced engine power and car dies. Code for fuel pressure regulator pops up. Autozone says regulator is in the fuel pump so I’m going to buy the parts to replace the pump.
NOW I’m dealing with a P0016 AND P0017 and a high pitched squeal on start up and the internet basically says you’re out of time. Codes read camshaft/crankshaft position sensors. My dad has done all the mechanical work on my car. This is my third Impala (‘13 totaled in accident, ‘08 traded for ‘14) but 119,000mi seems a little early for timing problems based off everything I’ve read? I’ve read car has a timing BELT not a chain, is that right? Because I can’t seem to find a belt for my vehicle. Would changing the sensors help or am I basically SOL and need a whole timing kit?
I have little experience with vehicles let alone tearing apart a whole engine but I would rather gain the experience working on it myself with my own research(YouTube lol) and a couple hundred dollar parts instead of throwing down thousands and not gaining any knowledge about my vehicle in the process.
Anyway, I’m sorry this is so long to read. Does this vehicle have a belt or a chain? Where is the best place to purchase parts from? I am looking at RockAuto.

·
Registered
531 Posts
You car does have a timing chain, not a belt. I don't want to say for sure that it's a timing chain issue, but it certainly sounds like it. Typically if it is just a sensor, you only get a code for one thing, like intake cam, or exhaust cam, or crankshaft, etc. You don't typically get codes for both. I did a quick google and found this post on the malibu forum (same engine) that has the same codes as you (including the fuel pressure regulator).
Person said oil related engine failure, which typically means timing chain guide broken/wore down too much and jumped time due to not enough/improper lubrication.

You can get a timing chain set from rockauto. Hopefully there is no damage to the valves as that is an interference engine. Good luck. If you decide to dig into it, post back what you find.

·
Registered
8 Posts
"Code for fuel pressure regulator pops up" high pressure fuel pump could be leaking gas into the oil. With engine at idle remove the oil cap and if the engine idles correctly with no stalling this confirms that you have gas in the oil ( you may be able to smell the gas but most can not.
Your cam position sensor codes on both cams would be due to gas in the oil and thinning the oil and cam position sensor can not work or is slow.
You may also have a O2 sensor code for running rich.
The High pressure fuel pump is in the engine compartment, not hard to replace but you must use caution to release fuel pressure (450psi) part is easy to find and many u-tube videos on line to help.
Replace the pump and change your oil and you should be good.
John

·
Registered
20 Posts
I may be mistaken, but, the cam and crank position sensors work by seeing toothed serrations on a shaft or gear. The teeth cause the sensors to fluctuate a signal because they are magnetic. Shouldn't have anything to do with oil. When the sensors that are positioned very close to the toothed gear sense the tooth, it creates a magnetic field and produces a signal to the ECM. When the gap in between the teeth is sensed, the magnetic field collapses and the signal changes. That's how these sensors work. This will show up as a sine wave on a scope. If the timing chain has enough slack in it due to wear, the two signals will not be in sync and the ECM will sense this discrepancy. Unless this engine hasn't been properly maintained, seems there shouldn't be an issue with the chain as they usually outlast the engine. However, a trusting technician with the proper scope that isn't a parts changer but actually knows what they are doing should be able to verify whether the timing is the issue or it is something else. I would find a good technician as mentioned above before I would spend a bunch of money on parts that may not be worn. Don't throw away money by purchasing a bunch of parts hoping you get lucky. Find the problem and correct it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
These are the camshaft actuators (camshaft/crankshaft position sensors.) " Layleebae" used the term "sensors" but I wanted to stay with her term.
Camshaft actuators use oil pressure to move the cam gear.
I am a GM tech and have seen this issue.
Your right. I was thinking old school of cam in block. I thought about that after I posted that that engine is an OHC with a long timing chain with guides and maybe an oil pressure tensioner. That engine has exhaust and intake cam timing actuators. My bad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The quick test for this issue is when the engine is running and will not idle (stalls) if you remove the oil fill cap on the engine the car will now idle. Now add the codes you have and you can look at the high pressure fuel pump for replacement.
Do not forget to change engine oil and filter (it has been contaminated with gas).HTH
John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The quick test for this issue is when the engine is running and will not idle (stalls) if you remove the oil fill cap on the engine the car will now idle. Now add the codes you have and you can look at the high pressure fuel pump for replacement.
Do not forget to change engine oil and filter (it has been contaminated with gas).HTH
John
The actual code reads “Crankshaft position, Camshaft position correlation Bank 1 sensor A” and I also have this same code for sensor B. I read your previous reply about running too rich and before my problems persisted I had a code for system too lean, not rich. That code went away after bit. Now the only codes I have are the p0016&17 and the code for fuel pressure regulator. Fuel pressure regulator only popped up when stabilitrak (reduced engine power) came on and my car died. Been letting her sit ever since until I get it figured out lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
OK the lean code is from the O2 sensor trying to change the fuel to a lean condition because of the extra fuel in the engine oil. The high pressure fuel pump is mounted on the top area of the engine (this unit leaks fuel into the engine) not hard to replace, but look at some of the You-Tube videos on replacement they can be helpful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK the lean code is from the O2 sensor trying to change the fuel to a lean condition because of the extra fuel in the engine oil. The high pressure fuel pump is mounted on the top area of the engine (this unit leaks fuel into the engine) not hard to replace, but look at some of the You-Tube videos on replacement they can be helpful.
Thank you for all of your help. I am gunna get that changed asap! I have no problems changing the fuel pump but I really really didn’t want to have to change the timing chain. Everything I’ve read on that P0016&17 code is timing chain related from what I can tell. Whew.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts