Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a fuel issue and wondering if it's still recommended to solder the wires instead of using the connectors on the in-tank harness or have the newer parts evolved and corrected the melted wire issue? What brand sending unit and fuel pump are recommended?

Can't hear pump prime with key on.
Can't hear pump with prime test.
Good voltage and grounds at harness driver's side in trunk. (It started raining so haven't checked plug at tank but will before I do anything. I had it unplugged a few days ago and visual inspection did not reveal anything. Connector, wires and pins look clean and damage free so that's when I decided to buy a multi-meter)
Fuel Gauge needle pointing straight up after trying to jump start the car, unsuccessfully. (Bad/melted ground on sending unit?)
Zero fuel pressure. (I didn't put a test gauge on it but depressed the needle where the gauge attaches and it's bone dry.)
Vacuum line on fuel pressure regulator dry.
Engine has bright spark and cranks fine with a new 800 CCA battery, it just doesn't even try to run.

I haven't dropped the tank yet but from what I've read it seems like that's the next step. But before I do, I also wanted to ask if I missed something that I should check first?

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Have you checked the fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay? And on the power wire in the pump harness is there 2 of them, one for the fuel sending unit and one for the pump?

If you truly have power to the positive side of the pump portion of the harness then yes the pump is bad.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuse is good and swapped the relay but have not checked it with the multimeter. I got rained out so only checked the gray pump power wire in the trunk and the black grounds. Sorry I wasn't clear in my OP but will check the pump and sending unit power at the tank harness before I actually drop the tank. Thanks for mentioning the relay. I didn't even think about putting the meter on the block. I think I read on the SS forum that the 96 does not use the oil pump relay in the circuit. Can anyone confirm?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts