Impala Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had to take my 2004 Impala in for some brake work at the local GM dealer and was told that my car is due for fuel injector purge and emission control maintenance, cost $150.

Was wondering if this is really necessary maintenance service that other Impala owners do? The car has 79,000km on it.

There's nothing about this is my maintenance schedule book, so I asked a friend who works with cars and he said the only purging is my wallet and recommended Techron Fuel Injector cleaner from Shell.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
They are trying to "Purge" your wallet. Yes your friend is right get a good quality fuel cleaner like SeaFoam and run that through the fuel system.
On the Emission Control Maintenance, there is no such thing. You only replace the defective part once your MIL lamp (Service Engine or Check Engine Soon Light) comes on. There are no parts that you replace just because of mileage or time on the car. The only exception would be the PCV valve which I recommend changing every 30K due to if it clogs up it will star causing gaskets to blow out.

According to my Mitchell on Demand 5.8 there is no maintenance as to the purging the injectors or Emission Control system.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts