Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Im wondering what the fuel economy is on this car, and what a good engine mod would give this better fuel economy.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
it has a lt1 -350 vette motor in it stock. it will gat 15-20 on the freeway if you drive lightley ! KnN MAKES A NICE FORCED AIR SET UP FOR THIS CAR (typhoon set-up). good flowing mufflers as flowmasters and gibson etc will help in the breathing of this car. there is also "chips" made for this set up too.. sorry to say --nothing is really cheap anymore but, there are several pieces out here that are available.. try summit too. it has a good size motor in it and its not a light car so dont expect it to do miracles.. its as close to a factory hot-rod as it gets for the year it was made.. it was designed to get the max milage with the performance .. "millions or dollars to get it right and a couple of hundred dollars to screw it all up" food for thought... good luck

·
Registered
303 Posts
it has a lt1 -350 vette motor in it stock. it will gat 15-20 on the freeway if you drive lightley ! KnN MAKES A NICE FORCED AIR SET UP FOR THIS CAR (typhoon set-up). good flowing mufflers as flowmasters and gibson etc will help in the breathing of this car. there is also "chips" made for this set up too.. sorry to say --nothing is really cheap anymore but, there are several pieces out here that are available.. try summit too. it has a good size motor in it and its not a light car so dont expect it to do miracles.. its as close to a factory hot-rod as it gets for the year it was made.. it was designed to get the max milage with the performance .. "millions or dollars to get it right and a couple of hundred dollars to screw it all up" food for thought... good luck
I would say the mileage estimates are typical.

It is not a 'vette motor. The B-/D-body LT1 version has iron heads (not aluminum), 2-bolt mains (versus 4-bolt mains), a cam tuned for low-end torque (versus high-power) and 87 octane (versus 92). It does have a true dual exhaust like 'vette (unlike the Camaro/Firebird version). It can be modified to make quite a bit of power and there are many mods that can be done for "relatively" low dollars. The car itself is heavy though, which can mean a good ride and roadholding but slower than the other GM LT1 cars ('vette and Camaro/Firebird) and fuel economy will be less.

There is no "chip". The car's PCM can be reprogrammed by tuners and many parameters changed. [My car, '96 Roadmaster wagon, is the same drivetrain and was done by www.pcmperformance.com .]

This car is also rear wheel drive (RWD) not front wheel drive (FWD), if that matters to you. [It's a big plus for me.]

This forum is still quite new and seems to be catering to the more of the newer FWD models. Send me a private message if you want more information on sources for this generation SS.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
RMC got it right, INKJAX got the LT1 right, the rest is incorrect.

·
Registered
303 Posts
seems they were trying to be buddy buddy kinda like " :sign5: " if ya know what I mean :cool:
Ok George... try not to get too excited and let me answer the second part of his question...

Im wondering... what a good engine mod would give this better fuel economy.
My suggestion would be to try two things first.
- Change out the mufflers for lower restriction ones. [I run Summit Turbo's because they are cheap not too loud.]
- Get a custom tune. You can do an OBD-I PCM conversion if you plan to tinker with it yourself and/or do more mods in the future or just get your OBD-II PCM reprogrammed. You can get an 87 octane tune like I have and don't have to go to premium gas. [87 octane tune will be a little less power than the 92 octane tune but still much better than stock..] PCM Performance did my tune... www.pcmperformance.com

Other mods that I have either did not seem to affect fuel economy or hurt it a little [TB coolant delete, 160 degree thermostat, air pump delete]. I am not sure if the CAI did anything (performance or economy), but it sounds meaner.

[I also converted from the mechanical/electrical fan setup to dual electrical fan setup, but the SSs already have this.]

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
RMC I have tried just about every intake that has been made for our cars.... they all seem to help in various ways depending on the actual design and placement of the filter you get a little more or less (resistance and distance of filter placement as little as it may be makes a diff) however all of them provide negatives in the form that if you use an oil based filtration system (K&N) type, eventually and sometimes much sooner the elements on the M.A.F sensor become contaminated and the car suffers from lost power to check engine lights going off like christmas lights.

PCM reprogram or even the hypertech programmers/tuners will help you out depending on the setting chosen....As mentioned by RMC you can tune it for 87 octane and still benefit from it.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Much better RMC. ...lol

TheFooserGuy, You are starting to impress me.......Other than Angel from George Bates garage, there seems to be ALOT of newbie's with alot of....not quite accurate advice. Not that I'm any expert, but I do know better than to advise a Tornado or airfoil....or electric turbocharger...LOL.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts