Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello fellas

does anybody add any fuel additives to their tanks every once in a while?

if so, what kind would you reccomend? if not, please lecture me ....

thanx in advance :biggrin:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just don't put crap gas in your car and many recommend running a tank of Chevron every once in a while. Some claim it will even clean the tank resistors enough to make the fuel guage read correctly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It has a following with the B-body community, I've never used it myself but I recall reading a bit about it and people had specific places they liked to use Seafoam; I know that's vague as hell...

MotorVac service is great for the fuel system if you can find a shop to do it, I treated my car to it and it increased throttle response. I should've done a vacuum test before and after as I understand it will restore vacuum values.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We've used Seafoam on plenty of the cars. You just have to be very careful in not sucking up too much or you risk hydro-locking your engine.

Usually, pour it into a cup, turn the engine on, and use the vacuum line that goes to the brake booster to suck up the Seafoam.

****DO NOT POUR IT IN****

Let the vacuum slowly suck the Seafoam. Chances are, the engine will die several times in this process.

After that, let it run for about 10 minutes and then take it for a drive.

It is going to sound like bloody murder on your engine. Just a FYI.

As for the gas? Needles was on point. DO NOT PUT SH*TTY GAS IN YOUR CAR.... Racetrac, gas station gas, Sam's club gas.... all sh*tty gas.

I used to run nothing but Racetrac gas in my other car.... wound up putting my torque converter out.

Now I usually run only one station's gas (usually 7-11) but if I do have to fill up somewhere else, I will use Exxon on QuikTrip.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I may never be on point again, well not anytime soon anyway. I knew there were some tricks/pointers to using Seafoam but couldn't recall what they were so thanks Crackah.

What does it do for the car anyway and do you need to change the oil or anything afterwards?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Techron is about the only additive that I have seen work for small drivability issues. You can get it at most parts stores, or just run Chevron gas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts