Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped in new shocks up front this morning. The FSM was of course a big help (NOT). It says to torque the top nuts 97 ft/lbs.

I ran the nuts down until the shock shaft starts to turn as well (bushings compressed). FSM says put a wrench on the top to keep the shaft from turning but

1. the flat sided on the top of the shaft only fits 1/4 open end.

2. I can't figure out how to get a box wrench on the nut to turn it while hopefully holding against the grain with a little 1/4 wrench (I tried)

I also tried putting a short box wrench over the nut and tried to turn with the 1/4 inch wrench but can't get the torque to turn it.....

What a PITA. I got the old shocks out by using a vice grip on the shaft, but don't want to do that on the new ones!

any ideas?

·
Registered
626 Posts
It's been an awfully long time since I did this - so long I need to do it again, like yesterday - but I think I used a larger adjustable to hold the shock.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
6 point wrench or socket

I would try a 6 point 1/4 socket and ratchet or a 6 point wrench to hold the shaft while you turn the nut.

·
Registered
140 Posts
There is a special socket to hold the top of the shock bolt. If you have the bushings compressed and its good and tight, drive it around. If it's quiet, you should be ok. I've always just snugged them up with a 3/8" impact.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts