Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Apex Everything
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, I'm looking for a little insight to a recent potential problem with my car. Yesterday, I installed the Dorman 33mm front sway bar on my car, and now I have a peculiar vibration issue. After putting the bar on, there is a vibration in the driveline when the car is in drive, and I accelerate at low speeds. It will also vibrate if I stall the car up while stopped, and the vibration increases with the revs. It does not, however, vibrate when in reverse, while rolling or stopped in neutral, or at speeds above ~20 m.p.h. Has anybody else had this problem or know what may be causing it?

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Did you drop engine cradle to get bar in, recheck cradle bolts if you did.

·
Apex Everything
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as a matter of fact i did, i'll check those today.

·
Apex Everything
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tightened the subframe bolts as much as I could, and the vibration did seem to improve some. It didn't go away entirely, but it is generally less so. Also, I got to run hard on an interstate on-ramp today, and there was some vibration there too. I'm thinking about getting the ZZP shortened dogbones before too long.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Might need an alignment

·
Apex Everything
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm, some things make it seem like it isn't the alignment though, like the fact that I can get it to happen when the vehicle is stopped, and not when it is in reverse or neutral. Another thing is that when I put it in, I was having some clearance issues with the downpipe, not sure if that's still the case though.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Are you sure you put it correctly. On the regal some people would flip it to get more clearance on the downpipe, maybe the sway bar or something is keeping the cradle from seating correctly. Motor and trans mounts look ok. Just throwing out ideas, good idea to check dogbones though.

Let us know what you find out.

·
Apex Everything
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The motor/trans mounts should be fine, and I jacked up the subframe when I put the bolts back in, I don't think it's improperly seated. The shorter dog bones are supposed to give a little more clearance for a downpipe and reduce driveline vibrations from being lowered, which is why that was my next step. If they don't do the trick, I'll probably try flipping the bar. Thanks for the help, you subframe idea reduced the problem already.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Np glad to help

·
Apex Everything
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I installed the ZZP shortened dogbones, and 99% of thee vibration is gone. COnsider me relieved.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Cool :eek:k3:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
How were the bushings in the old ones?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Burt, I have been lurking all day today to try and find a decent setup on my 08..

I noticed you are doing close to the same thing i am doing. Do you like your Dorman front sway bar?? Is it worth the 97 bucks?

I think im going with the KYB struts, and both sway bars. This car EATS tires from the day i bought it and now it has 133,000 miles on it. I also found some camber bolts on tirerack that i will get. Camber bolts

I also have had a hard time finding the Addco rear sway bar kit. I have also seen where people are suggesting a GM replacement? Do you all have any direct info on this i can check out?

Thanks ahead of time.

·
Apex Everything
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, Amazon has the Dorman bar for $79.93 with free shipping, and it is totally worth it. Dorman OE Solutions 927-100 Replacement Sway Bar : Amazon.com : Automotive Body roll is significantly reduced, and I'm looking forward to doing the Addco rear bar. I've found that somewhere on Amazon too I think. There is a GMPP rear bar that is bigger than stock, but the Addco bar is bigger still. As for struts, I'm still on the stock set, and I do have camber bolts, and I've had normal tire wear with them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, Amazon has the Dorman bar for $79.93 with free shipping, and it is totally worth it. Dorman OE Solutions 927-100 Replacement Sway Bar : Amazon.com : Automotive Body roll is significantly reduced, and I'm looking forward to doing the Addco rear bar. I've found that somewhere on Amazon too I think. There is a GMPP rear bar that is bigger than stock, but the Addco bar is bigger still. As for struts, I'm still on the stock set, and I do have camber bolts, and I've had normal tire wear with them.
Yeah, Im trying to locate the Addco sway bar also. Thank you for the input!

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Burt, did the new bar come with poly bushings? They can create vibrations. I seen that you said most is gone after the dogbone install, this could be where excess vibrations could be from.

·
Apex Everything
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Very true. The kit sais that the new bushings were poly bushings, but they didn't look different than the factory ones. The factory bushings aren't poly, are they?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Factory is rubber. Poly isn't always red, it can be hard to tell.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts