Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I say from personal experience, YES!!!!

I know a lot of people say only the rear one is needed, but I know for a fact the front strut brace helps tremendously!

I did the rear Don Rome thing about a year ago, and yes, definitely settled the rear of the car down very nicely. I used my Christmas bonus and received my front brackets and brace two weeks ago. MAN! What a difference on my '07 SS!!

The car stays much flatter cornering and the rebound when coming to a stop is drastically reduced. I had the front struts replaced soon after I bought it in October 2011 with 70K miles and even with the new struts the front end dive was the worst I've ever seen in a car, but now the front end doesn't bounce nearly as much going over bumps. It improved the overall handling of the car.

So, front strut brace improved the driveability just as much if not more than the rear strut brace. Together they make the car VERY fun to drive and a lot more stable IMO.

-wd4o

·
Makes your VISION, stop & stare
3,934 Posts
I second that ^^^ :eek:k3:

Reactions: wd4o

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Really, STB's are only useful for racing and *very* spirited driving, correct?

I can't think of a single time where I thought to myself "damn, this car is leaning too much!". But, like I said, I don't race and generally keep my "fast" speeds to when on the highway - not around any significant bends.

Just trying to understand the purpose of STB's a little better...

THanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
i got front and rear. it reduce body flex between the strut towers when making turns you will feel the before and after deference

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts

I can't think of a single time where I thought to myself "damn, this car is leaning too much!". But, like I said, I don't race and generally keep my "fast" speeds to when on the highway - not around any significant bends.

THanks.

You don't think you need them until you have them, then you just can't be without them...

Reactions: TSS and wd4o

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
But aren't they just to help keep the car level when going around bends at high speeeds? I'm just trying to understand who would need them. For a normal, everyday to/from work car, I just don't see them being very useful... Or am I wrong about that?

Isn't their main purpose just to help keep the car level?

·
Registered
598 Posts

Never gone around a corner at 10mph faster than posted? Never took a well known corner fast enough to lightly squeal the tires even a bit?

That is where the STBs would help.

With more tire contact patch on the ground, you would need to go a bit faster to get it to do the same amount of squealing. That means the car is safer and more stable at any given speed other than when going in a straight line. Why? Because the car leans less thanks to minimized chassis deflection. ;)

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Never gone around a corner at 10mph faster than posted? Never took a well known corner fast enough to lightly squeal the tires even a bit?

That is where the STBs would help.
Actually, no, I don't think that I've ever squealed the tires going around a bend in the Impala! :) If I have taken any corners faster that I "should" have, I haven't noticed any significant amount of body lean either. But again, I don't race around in my Impala either...

But, at least know I understand what they do and why you'd want them. In my case, I just don't see the need for my driving style, I guess.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Actually, no, I don't think that I've ever squealed the tires going around a bend in the Impala! :) If I have taken any corners faster that I "should" have, I haven't noticed any significant amount of body lean either. But again, I don't race around in my Impala either...

But, at least know I understand what they do and why you'd want them. In my case, I just don't see the need for my driving style, I guess.

I thought the same thing till I installed mine. I don't typically burn up the back roads with squealing tires.
If you drive any twisty winding roads you'll appreciate the less squooshy vague feel to the steering.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Well, I did not want to make it sound like I go around any and every corner at break-neck speeds, but was trying to explain situations where you would MOST feel the differences. :)

I don't know of many people that go around tight bends at posted speeds, as they are very conservative and for me it was pretty easy to get the wheels to squeal around a long tight curve... but that may have been a function of the tires. RSA's are notorious for being longer wearing, but having crappy traction and loud when pushed even a small amount.

Basically, by connecting the side of the car together, make the car a little stiffer and stiffer cars handle better and lean less. They do this without any sacrifice in comfort as the spring rates are not changed.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I mostly feel it on freeway on and off ramps. My commute has 2 cloverleaf ramps each way . Tires nowhere near squealing, but it is nice to have the car flatter on those ramps.

I would have to say there is a greater margin of safety in the event I have to do an evasive maneuver in that I will be able to keep control of the car better if it stays flatter also.

It just adds an overall stability to the daily-driver car is all.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
You will notice it in an emergency swerving situation too. Single most important 8th gen mod. And its cheap and easy.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts

THanks.

The car handles like a performance sedan after installing the strut tower bars. I put mine in the front and back along with DR's brackets. It's helps with higher speed turns and firms up the feel of the car. :eek:k3:

Reactions: hatzie

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
The car handles like a performance sedan after installing the strut tower bars. :eek:k3:
While I cannot completely agree, I would say it goes from sloppy to tight.....just still not like a performance sedan. :eek:k3:

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Jeggs sells the GM Performance parts strut tie bars for the 2000-2005 Gen VII Impala that will fit your Gen VIII V6. Chevrolet Performance 19419348: Strut Tower Braces | JEGS

You'll need the Don Rome mount plates. Prices

The Gen VIII Impala SS with the LS4 V8 require a dimpled tie bar to clear the alternator.
You can buy the SS kit from Don Rome that has the bars and the mounts. They'll fit just fine. The only difference is the dimple in the front tie bar to clear the LS4 V8 alternator.

BMR suspension sells strut tie bars but they are pricey.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts