Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my wifes 06 Impala, the front door speakers do not work sometimes (intermittent) on both sides. When those speakers don't work, the "key in the ignition" chime is not as loud as normal either. It's alot quieter. I'm not sure what the connection is. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
954 Posts
I would recommend taking the vehicle into your local dealership to be diagnosed. They should be able to assist you further and have a plan for addressing the issue. I can also look into this further for you. In order to do so, I will need some more specific information from you. If you could please send me your full name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, current mileage, and dealer name via private message, I will be able to take further steps. Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would recommend taking the vehicle into your local dealership to be diagnosed. They should be able to assist you further and have a plan for addressing the issue. I can also look into this further for you. In order to do so, I will need some more specific information from you. If you could please send me your full name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, current mileage, and dealer name via private message, I will be able to take further steps. Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
Thanks Tricia,

The car has only 72K on it. I've already changed the tranny line fittings, rear head gasket, and water pump by myself. I just need a suggestion on what the connection is between a door speaker and key chime and take it from there.

·
SStuntin on em
4,851 Posts
Thanks Tricia,

The car has only 72K on it. I've already changed the tranny line fittings, rear head gasket, and water pump by myself. I just need a suggestion on what the connection is between a door speaker and key chime and take it from there.
well if thats what you need to know, the chime is produced through the speaker. not sure if thats really all you needed to know

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well if thats what you need to know, the chime is produced through the speaker. not sure if thats really all you needed to know
That's a good start. Thanks. Most chimes I've had never went through the stereo. Now I see the connection.

·
SStuntin on em
4,851 Posts
yeah for sure man. thats what kept me from getting a new headunit in my 7th gen. you needed to buy a $100 wire harness to keep the door chimes

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
that's crazy talk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah for sure man. thats what kept me from getting a new headunit in my 7th gen. you needed to buy a $100 wire harness to keep the door chimes
I'll start by pulling the radio out and check the connections. If the rear speaker connectors are the same as the front, I'll do a swap and ops check it. If the rears don't work, then it may be the radio.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
All the speaker connections are in one plug, to swap them you would have to take the connector apart.

·
SStuntin on em
4,851 Posts
yeah it does sound like a connection type of issue, or possibly something internal with the stereo. when it happens its completely random or what?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah it does sound like a connection type of issue, or possibly something internal with the stereo. when it happens its completely random or what?
It has a mind of it's own when it wants to work according to the wife. Maybe I can make some jumper wires since it's all one connection. Thanks wally and king. :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'd say you have a bad speaker(s) I have replaced a lot of bad speakers in impalas and trucks. they will work not work most of the time you can tell if you can still hear the tweeter(lower volume ).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd say you have a bad speaker(s) I have replaced a lot of bad speakers in impalas and trucks. they will work not work most of the time you can tell if you can still hear the tweeter(lower volume ).
Yes, I can hear the tweeters with music and chime (slightly). If the haynes manual is correct, the left door speaker and tweeter comes off the same wire from the radio and the right respectively. I've never had two speakers go bad (but nothing surprises me with this car). I'll take a known good speaker and connect and see if it works.:eek:k3:

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Just a note for anybody following this thread: The 06+ chime volume can be adjusted up or down via the DIC programming. This does not appear to be the OPs issue, but I am just anticipating the usual: "My chime is too soft too".

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes, I can hear the tweeters with music and chime (slightly). If the haynes manual is correct, the left door speaker and tweeter comes off the same wire from the radio and the right respectively. I've never had two speakers go bad (but nothing surprises me with this car). I'll take a known good speaker and connect and see if it works.:eek:k3:
yes :eek:k3:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bad speakers......:WTF: Pulled the PS speaker out and connected a good speaker and voila, sound. Ohm'd the speaker and nothing. I'll assume the DS is bad too. Thanks for everyones input.:beer:

·
Registered
144 Posts
in the last week I have changed 2 set of speakers ( 8 speakers) in a 03 & 05 p/u's all were bad but tweeters still worked.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts