Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently financed a used 2014 Chevy Impala LT, and I'm trying to figure out how to install a license plate bracket to the front of the vehicle, as it is law in Missouri to have a front and back license plate.

The bracket I have is in the link:

Amazon.com: FITS 2014-2017 CHEVROLET IMPALA FRONT LICENSE PLATE BRACKET GM1068146: Automotive

I'm not sure if I have to drill into the vehicle, I'd prefer not to. Any advice on the subject is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I have a 2014 Impala 2LTZ (new body style). The front license plate bracket mounts to the front of the bumper cover. The original bracket package came with pop-rivets to install it. Holes must be drilled in the bumper fascia. Some people use stainless pan head screws to mount the bracket. If you look closely at the peak (middle) of the bumper fascia, you will see very small dimples that are used as a template.

I previously owned a 2008, 2011 & 2012 Impala LTZ. The front brackets mounted the same way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got my mounting bracket from Advanced Auto for <$10. I have a 2016 and I HATED having to drill into the bumper, but it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
We bought our car in NorthCarolina where a front plate is not needed. But since we live in Virginia where we are supposed to have one, I bought a bracket from Rock Auto for about $10 More Information for VARIOUS MFR GM1068146

After a couple years it is still sitting in the trunk of the car. I hated the thought of having to mess up that nice bumper by drilling holes and slapping something on the front and the wife doesn't want it on there so there it sits. Luckily we haven't had any legal issues but I told her the first time we do I'm gonna have to put it on. I'd really like to get a bracket that would fold under the bumper and be out of sight. If we get stopped I'd just say I forgot to fold it back up after the car wash.

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
Wonder if it could work with 3M instead of screwing it in. Mine came with a plate frame, but if I had the choice I wouldn't have installed it. I would have zip tied the plate to the grill if I had to.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Wonder if it could work with 3M instead of screwing it in.
That's what I'm thinking. 3M has some wickedly good stuff. If their 2-sided tape holds up for body side molding, I can't help but think it can be made to work holding the plate or frame on.

I keep a couple rolls (different widths and thicknesses) on hand in the garage and use them for all sorts of stuff, both automotive and otherwise.

Doug

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
That's what I'm thinking. 3M has some wickedly good stuff. If their 2-sided tape holds up for body side molding, I can't help but think it can be made to work holding the plate or frame on.

I keep a couple rolls (different widths and thicknesses) on hand in the garage and use them for all sorts of stuff, both automotive and otherwise.

Doug

I don't think the OP learned how to say thank you........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts